• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I switch to left handed shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have not been on here for quite a while. Life has gotten in the way. My dominant eye is my right one. I have a bad problem with the retina in my right eye. It’s not going away.
My left eye is fine-I can see the sights very well. I have never switched to a lefty shooting position-anything I should look out for? Prob have to wear a long sleeved shirt to protect my right arm.
Any advice will be appreciated! Getting old is not for sissies!

Lefty here.... been shooting RH guns for a long time. Cap splatter and no cheek rest are the only things different to expect.

If your gun has a bolster on the breech for the nipple, it might not even splatter. The only guns that have really burnt me good are ones with powder drums instead of bolsters. That bolster really blocks/redirects a lot of fire.

Also, if you are shooting a gun with any amount of cast, you will know right away when you swap sides. Not really a worry if you are shooting modern factory made guns, not a lot of cast.

Last edited:
A shooter here in Georgia has bad vision in his right eye. Rather than switch to a left-handed position, he fabricated extensions for the front and rear sights that move the sights @3" to the left of the barrel. It looks strange, but he is deadly accurate with the rifle - just saw one of his targets from the GA Fall Shoot and he shot a 50-5x on the 25 yd slug gun offhand target!

A shooter here in Georgia has bad vision in his right eye. Rather than switch to a left-handed position, he fabricated extensions for the front and rear sights that move the sights @3" to the left of the barrel. It looks strange, but he is deadly accurate with the rifle - just saw one of his targets from the GA Fall Shoot and he shot a 50-5x on the 25 yd slug gun offhand target!
Do what you can with what you have where you are!

Another lefty here. Most guns I have ever shot were made backwards, so it's not a big deal. Never been burned or hit by shrapnel because of that. Worst problem I have had is with unmentionable semi autos, shotguns in particular being hard on my right ear.

Shooting a muzzleloader left-handed is not much different than a right hander shooting a SxS double barrel, aside from the aforementioned cast.

You are not going to see a big difference, other than getting used to a misplaced cheek piece as was mentioned. Cast is more relevant to shotguns in affecting shooting. With a rifle it's just a matter of getting a good grasp/position and repeating it. Shotgunning being more instinctive, the bend of the stock can be harder to adjust to going side to side.

You should always wear eye protection and that may be a bit more important shooting a right-handed muzzle loading rifle, left-handed, flint or percussion,

Back