• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canadian question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parzifal

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can a game warden come on to my private land without being invited?
"In Canada"

Robert

If a game warden here in many US states go on your land without asking, I am sure that they can do it in Canada.

Game wardens here in the US have about as much arrest power as a US Federal Marshall. The excuse of just cause is given a lot of leeway to wardens.

I live in Oklahoma, and three years ago our local game ranger was off for two months and his replacement was driving by and saw me and my family fishing on our pond and he stopped and watched us for about fifteen minutes then came down to see if everyone had the propper lisences. My wife didn't have one and he was going to write her a ticket when I told him that we were the principle owners and at that point he said ok. My wife ask him if he needed premision to come on to our property. He told her no because the state allows them to in order to protect and up hold the laws that govern fishing and hunting on private and public lands.

Soonerhunter

In the U.S. it is not a matter of "just cause". It is a matter of the Fourth Ammendment to the Constitution. We, in the U.S. are protected from unreasonable search and siezure. Now if a Game Warden has reason to believe that a felony has or is being committed or that a human life is in jeopardy then he can enter private property. Other than that, he is required to present a search warrant. A warrant is issued by a judge and that judge must be given reason(s) for the need to search the property and what specifically the search is for. If they come in searching for a poacher and find a drug lab. The evidence of the drug lab may not be admisable in court.

JiminTexas said:
In the U.S. it is not a matter of "just cause". It is a matter of the Fourth Ammendment to the Constitution. We, in the U.S. are protected from unreasonable search and siezure. Now if a Game Warden has reason to believe that a felony has or is being committed or that a human life is in jeopardy then he can enter private property. Other than that, he is required to present a search warrant. A warrant is issued by a judge and that judge must be given reason(s) for the need to search the property and what specifically the search is for. If they come in searching for a poacher and find a drug lab. The evidence of the drug lab may not be admisable in court.

That's what is says and means Jimmy, but the whole Bill of Rights has been compromised to a greater of lesser extent. Just look at the 10th Amendment and ask yourself if it still seems to be in effect or if the federal government is in any way restrained by it. I don't remember it being repealed, but it is a dead letter anyway. The 4th Amdmnt is violated all the time too, drunk driving roadblocks and warrantless searches happen all the time. Getting back to the point, when I used to hunt Vermont regularly, the game warden could enter any "camp", occupied or not,at any time. They could also search any barn or outbuilding without a warrant. I'm not sure what the state law actually authorized, but that is how it was.

Can't speak for Canada laws. But I know that the PA game Wardens are into some pretty heavy stuf and are law enforcement officers capable of arrest powers, gun fights, and the interdiction of criminals - to include drug smuggleres and groweres. that a heap of responsibitiy and power. Also a heap of being in harms way. I respect and admire them folks.

bessbattlesystem said:
Can a game warden come on to my private land without being invited?
"In Canada"

Robert

Bess,
I'm pretty sure any Federal Officer (R.C.M.P,DFO,DNR)can search anywhere any time.DFO regularily searches our Lobster Boats any time they want.

JiminTexas said:

In TN the game warden has the ability to check any refregerator or deep freezer in the state to verify the possession limit of any wild game that might be present. No warrent is necessary, only probable cause to believe that a refregerator of freezer is present. DO YOU HAVE ONE?

Wildlife agents are reguralary used to enter houses of suspected drug dealers, moonshiners or suspected meth labs. Anything visible between the door and frig can lead to further search.

Game wardens and the like in Canada are usually provincial peace officers and generally they have the same powers as an ordinary policeman. Here in Ontario, they are allowed to enter your property and there is even talk of giving them sidearms so that if they run across an outdoor grow-op or something like that, they can defend themselves. Increasingly, they are also being given police-like duties in the provincial parks.

Hello
Yes in most provinces they can. They can with out a warrent search any container, fridge, compartment, car, truck, boat, ship, etc.They actually have more power than a cop... Hey only in Canadier eh?
My best regards a loyalist Dawg

Hey Bud
They already have side arms. The clock actually. They also have more search rights than a copper...
my best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Yes they can, but they won't unless they have a reason to believe a crime "may be" being committed.
DFO and Game Wardens in B.C. carry sidearms.

A group of 5 fellows from Canada winter near us in Az. They are all RCMP officers, and really nice guys. But its a real wake up for them. We civilians carry and shoot our side arms all the time Az. They can not carry their arms in the USA. Its a real wake up call for our Canadian cousins. :thumbsup:

redwing said:
A group of 5 fellows from Canada winter near us in Az. They are all RCMP officers, and really nice guys. But its a real wake up for them. We civilians carry and shoot our side arms all the time Az. They can not carry their arms in the USA. Its a real wake up call for our Canadian cousins. :thumbsup:
It's not really a wake up call.I think most of us up here in Canada are fully aware that there are US States that allow carrying sidearms.I would say most of us are envious.But don't let that fool you there are some Good ol' Boys up around here that have a little "something" close to the hand at all times.... :winking:

I am sure you are right about some folks having little secrets. During my time in Ireland I found this to be very true. I don't mean with terrorist. Many gun lovers had little secrets.
As you may know many Canadians vacation in the SW. We have many that shoot with us. They leave guns here the year around. They rent storage space or leave them with Americans.
The fellows from the RCMP are a nice bunch, they are all looking at retirement in the US. :thumbsup:

Yup,
Retirement in some US states sounds like a good idea if your a gun owner.I don't know what it is with us Canadians but Handguns seem to scare the heck out of most City People.There has been restrictions on Handguns since after ww2.(Correct me if im wrong)Maybe it was Before WW2 :confused:
I own a couple and you wouldn't believe the hoops you have to jump through just to own them not to mention carry them to a range to shoot... :shake: .....Like I said Envious.

Did Canada every have full rights? That is related to firarms?
I understand the problem with retiermint out side of Canada is you medical benefits. You would have to return to Canada every few Mos.? :hmm:

redwing said:
Did Canada every have full rights? That is related to firarms?
I understand the problem with retiermint out side of Canada is you medical benefits. You would have to return to Canada every few Mos.? :hmm:

I would think at one time wedid have full gun rights.Not possitive though,I am Only 39 years old.What History I learned in High School has long since worn off..
Our medical Benifits are there but finding a Doctor that can see you is a problem.Sometimes I think we'd be better off with a System like you guys have.Pay for what care you get.I know a few instances where someone needed Heart Surgery and couldn't get in to a Surgeon here so they went to Boston and got it done then Paid the Bill.Canada does have it high points and isn't really a Bad place to live.Besides we have more Hockey up here...Who'd want to move away from that... :winking:

Latest posts

Back