• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys, I know what I want for my birthday... ::

The groundhogs don't stand a chance...

I need one of these on my veranda, gonna show those darn crows what two fistfulls of birdshot can do.
swivel-1.jpg

Hey Stumpkiller. I can guesstimate your age due to the fact that you know what a tennis ball/lighter fluid cannon is! We woke up many a neighbor in the middle of the night with a tennis ball to the roof from long range! And my mom thought I had taken up tennis. Haw !

Hey Stumpkiller. I can guesstimate your age due to the fact that you know what a tennis ball/lighter fluid cannon is!

Somewhere between Fes Parker/Davy Crokett coonskin caps and Weird O's bubblegum cards, in the year the music died.

See what Nintendo, Gameboy and TV have done to our kids. No one builds decent 'tin can' cannons (we had a less politically correct name involving a central European country known for kielbasa). Who even launches Estes rockets anymore, let alone horizontally? I can also tell you a goodly portion of my lawn mowing and seed selling (remember that racket?) went to Bangsite for carbide cannon. I had a home-made version made from a car axle that we used to launch tomato paste cans across the Susquehanna River with. That was after I blew up my original. Somehow still have all 12 fingers and both eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you fellas keep this "topic" go'n,.... I'm gonna haf'ta git me one'a them "swivel guns"!!!!

Here's my think'n......
I can spend $600.00 for "parts" to build anuther Trade Gun,.... or,... spend tha money on'a swivel gun!! I've already got Trade Guns, but.... I ain't gotta swivel gun!!

Reckon the "choice" for my next "purchase", is gonna be simpler then I thot!! ::

Back in the late '80's and 90's I was heavily involved in training and field trailing English Springer Spaniels. We needed pigeons, lots of pigeons, for dog training. We used a "cannon net" to catch whole flocks of the birds.
A mechinist friend made us four cannons for shooting the heavy net over the birds as they ate at our large bait piles of corn and other grain.
The cannon barrels were made of 3 inch steel pipe, 2 feet long. A breechplug was welded into one end, and a touchhole was drilled into the back of the breechplug. The touchholes were made so a 12 guage shotgun shell would fit up inside it. The 12 ga. shells were loaded with 150 grains of 2F blackpowder. Instead of a primer, we rigged an electric wire to fit in the primer hole. All four cannons were linked together on the same electrical wire circuit.
Our cannon balls were old pistons that closely fit the pipe diameter. A rope was tied onto the piston where the rod would normally be. The other end of the rope was tied to our net. The pistons were then rammed down the barrel.
With the four cannons spread about 10 feet apart, braced in the ground, and the pistons rammed home, but connected to the net which was neatly folded in a line along the front of the cannons, bait spread on the ground near the net, and we were ready.
All we had to do was touch the ends of our electric wire to our truck battery terminals, and BOOM!
It worked great, and we caught hundreds of pigeons with just one shot.
We did this at a grain elevator in Saginaw, MI. We always set up our net so that the cannon fired toward the Saginaw River, just in case any of our cannon ball pistons should break loose.

Back