• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe paddle on a shaving horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I cheated and cut the shape on the band saw and planed it down to 1 1/4 inch thick, it`s 5 foot six inch long and the paddle is six inch long.

I drew a line down the edge of the board in the center to kinda go by.
It`s coming along pretty good but the corners and the top handle are a trick.
Now remember this is all new to me and I have nothing to go by but trial and error.

paddlestart.jpg

linedownedge.jpg

drawknife1.jpg

drawknife2.jpg

drawknife3.jpg

medrawknife1.jpg

medrawknife2.jpg

usingscraper.jpg

Let me be the first to say GREAT START :thumbsup: . Is the paddle face gonna have a curve or keep it straight?

Keep it up

Hey Lenn, it sure didn't take you long to get a project going on your new shaving horse! Looks like it will come out just fine. What wood are you using? I have a friend who makes an occasional paddle and he likes white cedar, but it is hard to find around here. Emery

Thanks gents, it will have a curve to it.
I`m done with it, it`s the best i know how to do.
What would be period correct finish to put on it.
I have some tongue oil and Lindseed oil.

mewithspokeshave.jpg

mespokeshave2.jpg

filework.jpg

finishedpaddleonbench.jpg

paddlewithsandpaper.jpg

meholdingpaddle.jpg

There ya go again, Lenn, doin the easy part first, now just how the heck are you going to whittle that canoe to fit that paddle now?

Bountyhunter said:
There ya go again, Lenn, doin the easy part first, now just how the heck are you going to whittle that canoe to fit that paddle now?

:rotf: :rotf:
Heck if the gas prices don`t go down i`ll be paddling the Harley. :haha:

Marine varnishes have been used for years. Remember to raise the nap, and then scrape that off, just as you would a wood stock, before filling and finishing.

Did they have marine finishes back when they made paddles by hand like this one, and what is marine finish. I`m not going to buy a finish for it, is lindseed oil PC.

I would imagine that whatever they had back then to seal a gunstock would do the job here Lenn. Nice paddle by the way. :thumbsup:

A lot of them were painted. Vermillion shows up a lot. Also a medium blue, like faded jeans. They painted the blades but not the handles. Linseed oil is period, but I don't know how much made it into canoe country. Tallow actually makes a great wood finish. It polymerizes just like linseed, but darkens the wood more. Don't use bacon grease if you live in bear country. :nono:

These guys have the blue ones
canoe.jpg

And a bunch of red ones
voyageurs.gif

Marine Varnishes go way back. They have additives in them that keep them from yellowing in UV light. I am not a chemist. I would have to look varnishes up on the web, or in my encyclopedia to talk about the ingredients, and you can do that as well as I can.

I do know that boats and ships were highly prized, and expensive properties to own. Varnishes were made and applied to boats almost before they were used to preserve any other items made of wood.

Obviously, the modern versions of Marine Varnishes are much improved over what was available 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago. You won't often be able to find marine varnishes at just any paint store, or hardware store. Check the ads in WoodenBoat magazine, and contact manufacturers to find out local sources. If you are in Michigan, that is boat country, and you will find marine varnishes much closer than I can down here in the corn and soybean fields.

Sometimes these varnishes are called " Spar " varnishes. Most mariners know what a spar is.

It is looking good.
The "T" grip on the handle is a more modern invention and on most old time traditional style paddles there is a more gradual taper from the paddle shaft to the blade. Nothing wrong with the way you did yours. It just looks to me like you used a modern, plastic paddle for your pattern. Of course, different Indian tribes had different paddle styles.
A good average paddle length would fall somewhere in length between a person's armpit and chin when measured from the ground, regardless of how tall that person is. Some special purpose paddles are longer or shorter. For instance; for the helmsman (the guy who does all the steering) a longer paddle has the advantage of more reach and leverage, making steering a little easier.
I do a lot of canoeing and have built my own canoes and paddles. Recently I made a pair of 9' oars for a rowboat. I also work summers as a part time whitewater rafting guide. We use paddles in the rafts, too. The customers are given average length paddles, but we guides use an extra long paddle that we refer to as our "Guide Stick". Paddles regularly used in whitewater take a beating on the rocks, so we use modern hard polymer plastic for that kind of work. Even so, we break one from time to time.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, one more question, is shellac good for such a task i have two cans of that. I also have tonque oil, I like the painted idea also but then the grain looks nice.
I had no pattern to go by not even a picture, it`s tall as my nose in length.

Shellac is fine. Also, you don't have to paint the whole paddle. You could paint on a design, and then when it dries, shallac over it. I'm partial to Celtic designs, but I've seen some very nice Indian designs, such as what the various Northwest Coastal tribes produce. On the oars that I made I painted a bright red, stylized, fish skeleton in the Northwest Coast style, and varnished over it. You could copy a Metis design, or just put a big, yellow happy face on it. Whatever you want.

I would use the tung oil first, to fill the pores of the wood, then put on the design, and shellac over it. Shellac is a sealer. It has some pluses and minuses. It will yellow or darken in UV light. It is a sealer, but it can be " Cracked" with hard use, destroying its sealer quality. So, while it might work well on a paddle used in quiet waters( lakes, ponds) using it in fast water, where its likely to hit bottom, or rocks, or snags is going to be hard on that surface.

As with guns, there is no ONE answer to every use. Your paddle is a tool. I just finished reading the account of the rafting and river guide, and his choice of the longer paddle made of vinyl, and aluminum. I had to smile. His choice is obviously the best one for the work he is doing. It is not HC, or even PC, but it gets the tourists down stream alive and well. :grin: :thumbsup:

I particularly like the idea of a laminated bottom strip at right angles to the vertical grain of the rest of the paddle, to act as a bumper, and save the end grain from splitting out. In Theory, at least, if you destroy or badly damage the bumper plate, it can be replaced without buying a new paddle. That bumper strip is not historically correct for Native American built paddles. It is, as best I can learn, a late 20th century invention. But it works.

The same thing can be said about bent shaft, and bent handle paddles. There is a variety of handle angles being used, but they all increase the force and thrust applied on the water by the paddle for the energy used by the paddler. The only question is which angle is the best for whom? and for what kind of paddling. :hmm:

I made up turtle brand and burned three on each side of the paddle and one on each side of the handle/ I then took the weeping heart brand and put three of them on the long part of the handle.
I decided on Birchwood Casy Tru oil because it goes on easy and dries fast. I`m heading out to put that on shortly so will have finished picture soon.

Pitchy, Heck of a nice job!

i carve bows off a shaving horse, and seal them with tru-oil (6 to 8 coats). Lasts a lifetime.

Should last you a good while :thumbsup:

Back