• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't see front sight in low light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I could have shot a doe at about 45 yds today - It was shortly after the sun went down (but still legal shooting hours) and I was in a area that was shaded (near a deer trail in cedars) and when I threw up the gun to shoot - I couldn't find the &#@#$#@*@ browned iron sight against the background!!!!!!!! Would a silver or brass front sight be a solution to the problem?

I have the gun shooting right where I want it (I got two 2nd place ribbons today at the local club shoot) but, does me no good if I can't see the front sight in low light conditions

Dan'l

I use a silver sharpie maker for low light conditions and black for most others.

There used to be an old saying eons past.....
low light, low sight!

Fiber optics is what I use for the same reason. You probably don't want to go that route on your rifle though. They do make some sight paint that glows in the dark if it is charged up with a small pen light. Lasts about 5 min. per charge up.

I've recently put silver sights on all my hunting rifles for that same reason. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, so I can't say how much they help. However, the silver front sight pops out against dark colored targets.

I put a touch of day-glo fingernail polish on the facing edge of my front rifle sight. Helps.

Had the same experience and did 2 things that helped. Firstly, soldered a piece of sterling silver inlay into the steel sight blade and filed and polished a 40 degree angle on the face to collect light. Secondly, widened the square notch in the rear sight to twice the thickness of the front blade as viewed when mounted. What also helped was a .100 thick blade in front. Evidently you do target shooting and probably have a narrow front blade but my squirrel LR has the .100 blade and has scored 100s of head hits on squirrels...Good luck....Fred

this may sound silly, but we have done it on bead sights. Paint the back edge with the liquid correction paint that you use for old style type corrections.

A white paint pen, such as the ones for marking metals, works pretty well. Might find it at a welding supply shop... :hmm:

I use a silver front sight and angle the back edge to a 45 degree plus put a dab of white paint on it...I also open up the rear sight...I'm good to about 20 minutes after sundown in the woods...

The Lyman hunting sights have a white bead, and I find it better than the fiberoptic sights I put on my wifes rifle.

The only PC sight that I ever liked in dim light is one made of bone, buuut they are for me, to fragile. In the past I used white nail polish. Just last year I tried some "white out" that had a sponge applicator. When it dried, I put a drop of "crazy glue" on it to secure it. I luv it. Give it a try!! :thumbsup:

The easiest and cheapest way I've found to solve this problem is to "tin" my front sight like you would tin the barrel lugs before soldering. I use some of the lead free solder like the stuff I use for poured pewter bolsters. Clean the facing edge bright, put a little flux on it and touch it with my soldering iron. When I need it bright I scrape it with my knife edge. When I need it dark I dab a little powder fouling from the frizzen on it, tarnishes right up. You can re-tin the sight any time you need to.

I have to agree with Walks with Fire 100%, fiber optic works well for me. The first time the option of using fiber optics came around I really didn't want to do it because of the thought it may compromise the integrity of the gun. Well that only lasted long enough for me to look down the barrel of my gun, see my sight, see my target and hit where I wanted to hit without guessing where things were at. I've used paint and painted my sights as well but I can't see doing that when the fiber optic is more permanent and more reliable. My 2 cents worth.

I Put a TC peep sight on the back of my TC 50 Cal hawken with a TC fiber optic front. In the peep sight I screwed in a Williams twilight appeture with a hole dia of .125 to .150. I can see this set up and I can hit with it too.

My flintlock has a thin silver front blade, and I can't hardly see it under most conditions. I lay the white-out or white paint to it, fixes it right up.

I believe it's HiViz who put out a fiber optic front sight that has 5 different diameter beads that come in florescent green and orange that really give you a range of options. I priced them out once and I believe they were about $25 in a 3/8 dovetail mount. But here again I can understand why some folks don't want to go FO and I respect their decision.

I've got a 1/16" silver blade front and it can be a blessing or a curse. Currenlty I have it sooted up with the aid of a candle as I have trouble finding the real blade top vs. the reflections on sunny days. The advantage is, if sooted, I have the option of wiping it off instantly with my thumb should a low-light opportunity arise.

The silver blade can be an acquired taste. It is definaletly easy to see but depending on sun angle and intensity can cause your groups to wander "sunward" as the bright spot draws your eye. With the sun low and behind you it can also cause you to aim high.

I've found that pulling a fine single-cut file across the blade will serrate it just enough to keep it from being overly shiney.

I had some luck with a pair of light yellow tinted safety - shooting glasses really don't know how they work but they brighten up the area plus the added feature of safety glasses while shooting got my pair at a welding shop

I have just given in to ole ma nature and made peace with the idea ...older eyes need more light .

Back