• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caps sticking to nipple/54 load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas,
have a question going to use my cva hawken 54 cal [1:60 twist i think] for a antlerless/doe season here in illinois next month.the caps are sticking to the nipple after i shoot have to pry them off. is this normal or am i missing something. i havn't shot this gun since 1982 just plinking around with it then but i don't remember having trouble with them.

my best grouping/load so far is 90grn of 2f blackpowder/.530 hornady ball and a .010 patch.3 shot groups are just touching at 30 yards i'm sitting down and shooting off my knee.need to get out my sand bags and bench and fine tune it at 70yds.will this be a ok load for deer?
happy holidays to everyone
justin

You may solve your problem by switching to a Hot Shot nipple. They have little holes in the side that cause the cap to ezpand at the top when fired. And 90 gr is plenty for deer.

Latest posts

Back