• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carolina Gun Completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzomann

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have finally completed the Carolina gun, or "Type G" English trade gun that I started this June at the NMLRA gun building seminar. For those who would like to see pics from the class, here is a link to my original posting last June: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...258680/post/1009924/hl//fromsearch/1/#1009924 The gun is based on the "Wilson" gun.

This is my second completed gun, and my first build from a blank. As I am a beginning builder aspiring to improve my work I invite any comments and constructive criticism. I am not particularly looking for "Only a moron would patina a perfectly new gun" comments but if that's all you got I have broad shoulders! I was originally finishing this as a gun "in the white" but was inspired by the artistry of works from Roy Stroh, Mike Brooks, Jud Brennan and others. It was fun experimenting with various patinas, no chlorine bleach was used and no laboratory animals were harmed by the experimentation's.:grin:

With the exception of the barrel, lock, bolts, and rear sight, all components of the gun were hand made. The barrel lugs and sights are dovetailed like the original Carolina guns. The butt plate, serpent, thumb piece and trigger guard are cut and shaped from sheet brass. The square nails were hand cut from steel stock, and the trigger cold forged from steel. The barrel channel and ramrod groove are hand cut, and the wood was scraped to a finish and not sanded. The ramrod is Osage Orange and was hand split, worked down from a wrist size split with a draw knife, spokeshaves and some occasional assistance from a rasp to about thumb size. The ramrod was then shaped and tapered using one of Thomas Curran's excellent ramrod scrapers. My engraving is kind of sad, but fortunately most trade guns of this type were fairly crudely engraved.

The lock is a RE Davis, the cock and top jaw are castings from Jack Brooks, the rear sight is a Jack Brooks casting. The barrel is a Getz custom 46" type G barrel.

I have blabbed enough, so now for some pictures.

PA290356.jpg

PA290359.jpg

PA290361.jpg

PA290368.jpg

PA290377.jpg

PA290381.jpg

PA290388.jpg

PA290419.jpg

PA290424.jpg

PA290425.jpg

PA290426.jpg

PA290445.jpg

PA290448.jpg

PA290451.jpg

PA290471.jpg

PA290486.jpg

I am interested in hearing your comments, thanks for taking a look. More photos here: http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/gonzomann_2007/Carolina Gun/?start=all

Curtis

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, the inlets look good.

I don't care for the way you transisioned the wrist through the butt, it just misses the flow a bit.

Otherwise a very nice piece.

In it's entirety, I like it. Neat looking piece & I can see you worked hard at it. :thumbsup:

Only real issue I have with it is wood choice. I would have avoided a stock with grain runout at the wrist.
This year alone I have had 5 dif. people ask me to repair a broken wrist on a rifle. Every single one had
grain runout there.

And IMHO, the engraving is fitting to the style, era & etc. for the piece.

I think ya did a pretty good job building it, considering the experience you have.

Keith Lisle

PS: I don't care for the RR, as it draws attention away from the rifle.

I think you did well, and cheers to you for doing so much handwork. I, too, would have chosen a different wood, but it's your gun and you did what you wanted to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As a fellow beginner I think you did a great job. I certainly couldn't do as nice a job as that. How did you petina the barrel that way? I'm looking to do the same finish on my first build. :thumbsup:

Keith,

I would have to agree about the run of the grain in the wrist... I purchased the wood site unseen and received it the day I started the class so I had to work with what I had. I have a hickory rod I made for the gun also but I kinda like that ugly ole' Osage Orange thing personally.

BTW, I have always enjoyed your work and have learned a great deal from reading your posts!

Curtis

VTsmoker,

The patina on the lock and barrel was a rust brown using a home made ferric chloride solution, rubbed back with scoth brite, 400 grit sandpaper, steel wool and a wire brush, and a 50 gallon drum of elbow grease. Here is a pic of the barrel getting seasoned:
hangingbarrel.jpg

Curtis

I like the overall effect - especially the finish - got some charm to it, and I mean that in a good way.
Not sure I could get a gloved finger in that trigger guard safely, but probably you never need gloves down there in Eldon during squirrel season.
:thumbsup:
/mike

I love it!
And thats all I got to say about that .
On second thought....I like everything about it
You did great!
Deutsch

Very nice work. While not crazy about the ramrod it does "look right" as a period replacement. You did a good job overall, I like it.

MeteorMan, I understand what you are saying about the "gloved finger" in the triggerguard but this is not a Northwest Gun. The Northwest Gun featured an over sized guard bow, for gloved fingers or some other reason, but the earlier Carolina gun did not.

Curtis,

In that situation, I would have used it as well..... You were there, the wood is what ya had, you do what ya can with it.

Ya still did a good job on it, all in all.

Keith Lisle

A person can always find a fault in anything man made.

I think you did a fantastic job it is truly one of a kind.

MeteorMan said:
I like the overall effect - especially the finish - got some charm to it, and I mean that in a good way.
Not sure I could get a gloved finger in that trigger guard safely, but probably you never need gloves down there in Eldon during squirrel season.
:thumbsup:
/mike
Meteor,
Thanks for the compliment! If you ever make it down here to Missouri bring your gloves and we can take it out so you can try it in person! I have squirrels out the wazoo here!

Curtis

Latest posts

Back