• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carry bag / horn on rt or left side???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmvet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am rt handed and shoot rt handed. I am trying to decide on the best side to carry my bag and horn. It would seem that it would be easier to load the gun if the bag and horn were on the rt side. Conversly, it would seem easier to carry the gun with the rt hand if the bag and horn were on the left side. What do you do and what are your thoughts on this.

I think it would be best to do what is most comfortable for you.Try both ways to see what feels best.I carry my bag with powder measure on left side and powderhorn on right with the smoothie but carry all on right side with rifle.the only reason for the differece is because I do a native persona for some re-enactments and like to have just powder , paint & breechclout for the battle. Shoot only parade loads into the air.Lots of sreamin though. :results:

Right handed, bag and horn on the right, rifle on the right.
Works for me but there's no right or wrong way. No one can tell you what's right for you. Only you can figure that out.

I was just about to post the same question and you beat me to it. I carry pouch, horn on my right and haversack on my left and I shoot right handed.
I shoot with 3 left handed shooters and they also carry thier horn on thier right.
I have been making powder horns for @10 years and was at a show over the weekend. I was asked the same question and if I make left handed horns, I never had because I never had a request for one. I think that it is mostly carried on the right and I don't know why. :m2c:

I shoot lefthanded, and have always carried my bag on the left, horn on the right...before I got left-handed locks, I worried a little about my horn being on the same side as the lock, and the chance of accidental ignition...never heard of it happening, but it did bother me a little...now that I have a couple of LH flinters, feel better..my priming horn is in the bag, and therefore easier to get at...if I finally start priming from my main horn, I'll probably switch its carry to the left..Hank

We should notify the Department of Redundancy Department at Muzzleloading Forum Headquarters.

THOU SHALT READ, AND PERHAPS SEARCH, BEFORE YE POST must have been one of the five that you lost. (Tee Hee)

testamn2.jpg

. . . these fifteen . . . Oy . . . ten, ten commandments.

We need to relabel our archives the;

DID SOMEBODY ALREADY ASK THIS QUESTION SECTION

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just the same questions asked over, and over, and over.

You guys never taught high school, did you??
:crackup: :crackup:

What page are we on?? I didn't hear you say not to play with the electric plug!! What kind of teacher are you anyway, letting me lick the wall socket???

why does someone need my opinion on which side he should cayy his shooting bag? Carry it where it is comfortable!!!
Carry it where it is easy to reach! Carry it where the straps do not tangle with the stock when you shoulder the gun!!!

Do you handle small items, in a dark bag, without looking, best with your left hand or your right? Better yet, let your wife answer that one!!! If she tells you to dump it all out on the floor and get a flashlight you need to work on your relationship with both wife and gun!!!
:crackup:

Good Lord!!! The people on here will argue over loading smokeless powder in a ML, or what charge it takes to blow up a 6 lb Napolion cannon, or if they can safely look down the bore as they pull the trigger but they want MY approval on what side to wear their powder horn and hair barette!
:imo: :results:

Sorry. I'll try to do better

Hey, we're joking. :peace:

We know there's no way to know what's already been discussed and doing a search doesn't always help.

We learned long ago that the same questions will be repeated, but that's okay. There's always new new data to the mix.

We were just pulling your leg. :)

Carry two bags, one on each side, now you're covered...

I carry everything on my right side to balance out the bess, on my left...

You guys never taught high school, did you??

Heck, I don't think any of the "staff" here even FINISHED high school. :crackup:

. . . but they want MY approval . . .

No, but I/they/we want OPINIONS on what you may do, what works for you and why, and what you have cast aside as useless or wasteful to save much time and effort for us all. And sometimes we're just curious. We ask: "why do I do this and what are others doing?" I asked the original question (or maybe not - I never checked. :crackup:) because I noticed a lot of left handed original horns. Either there were more lefties then (so why so few LH locks?) or the forefathers were wearing them on the left, or wearing them "wrong" - against the curve. Just curious.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

Keep asking, everyone! Maybe eventually we'll all get it right! Is this going to be on the test? :thumbsup:

Quote; We were just pulling your leg.

Don't do that. I'm already 6'8" and do not want to be stretched out any more :: :crackup:
I will probably ask the same question in a month or so anyway, mind not what it used to be :p
By the way how do you do one of those "Quote" things?

Quote; We were just pulling your leg.

Don't do that. I'm already 6'8" and do not want to be stretched out any more :: :crackup:
I will probably ask the same question in a month or so anyway, mind not what it used to be :p
By the way how do you do one of those "Quote" things?

When you go to reply to a post, simply click the "quote" choice instead of the "reply" choice

When you go to reply to a post, simply click the "quote" choice instead of the "reply" choice

And don't forget to delete any of the previous post that you aren't addressing. That makes it easier for us to know what part of the post you are referring to.

Back