• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cast Iron Stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know there's a bunch of you guys, has to be, who use cast iron around the camp. Me, too, when I actually get to camp (Its been a while and it wernt primitive).

Anyway, when I'm in a good sporting goods store I usually browse the cookin/campin area. Use to be new cast iron stuff was pretty pricey, then the other day I see some bargain basement cast iron products. You guessed it: Chinese. Aint gonna buy it. Nothing against the Chinese, but some things are sacred!

Regards, sse

sse, I use cast iron camping and at home. I've read that the Chinese products have a different texture to the iron and it won't "cure" properly so as to prevent sticking and I have avoided them for the that reason. I've had good success locating good quality cast iron cookware at flea markets and Goodwill stores, very reasonably priced. Usually the bottom is stamped showing the manufacturer or country of origin. You can strip and recure cast iron. There are several internet sited that provide instructions for such. I'm sorry I don't have the web addresses but you'll find them if you noodle around the net a bit. Hope this helps.
Even on a clear day you can step in one if ya ain't paying attention.

The last I knew, Claude Mathis (forum's Administrator) deals in iron too, contact him about camping implements...

Thanks for the plug, but we don't have cast iron, only wrought iron. ::

There's some cast iron coming imported from Africa that isn't too bad, but it appears rather porous also. It's hard to beat Wagner, Griswold and Lodge for good cast iron.

eBay is a good source.

SSE - Watch for them at yard sales. The Griswold is a real collectors item. I buy them clean them up and resell them just for the fun of it. If they are not marked on the bottom Don't pay much for them. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rocky - I'm a city slicker now, but grew up in
Whitehall (born in Shelby). Anyway my bud back there gets all kind of stuff at garage sales, not just fer wimmins anymore!!

Regards, sse

P.S. I'm sorry for posting something "personal". If its really tabboo, somebody PM me and I'll repent.

All the cast iron pots, griddles, & skillets that the Chief of Staff has bought are 'Lodge' brand and they've held up perfectly...had a few of them for 20-30 years now...best thing there is to make a good pan of corn bread!!

I use cast iron skillets almost everyday at home. Can't beat a good old cast iron frying pan for baking cornbread. :)

Ironwood - I like a cast iron skillet for corn bread too. I have another question.. Growing up in the 40's at home we called corn bread johney cake, now Musketman posted a recipe for johney cake that came out like pancake batter,I bake it on my silverstone electric griddle came out good. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RJ... I was born back in the woods at the end of the road in March of 1937. Cornbread has always been cornbread around here. When I was a kid we sometimes had "cornmeal mush" that was similar to Cream of Wheat but was made with cornmeal. I don't remember ever having Johnny Cake or Corn Pone. :)

I usually make my cornbread from a mix. It's easy and it's GOOD. :) I perfer Morrison's Corn-Kits. I pour a little corn oil in the skillet. Put the skillet in the oven while heating up to 400-425 degrees. When the oven reaches the correct temperature take the skillet out of the oven and pour the batter in. Then back into the oven. When it's done in about 15-20 minutes (Slightly brown on top with a nice crisp brown crust) take it out and cut into wedges. Slit the wedges horizontally, and slap some butter in there. Goes great with almost anything, but it's not bad just by itself with a big glass of milk.

I use to use those cast iron corn bread pans that looked like little ears of corn, but I got a four loafed stoneware baking stone that makes the bestest loaves of corn bread...

However, nothing beats the deep cast iron skillet for fried tatters...

Now that's some good viddles... :)

Ironwood you are not much older, I was born in Dec. of 37,. I remember the corn meal mush, I hated it and your reward for not eating your mush was fryed mush for supper. I make corn bread like you do only I use Jiffy mix. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I make corn bread like you do only I use Jiffy mix.

All the Jiffy mix in the world comes from Chelsea, Michigan -- just about 40 minutes from where I'm sitting. My wife and daughter take a tour there every year and come home with a trunkload of those little white boxes.

I am fond of their cornbread, although I should add that it is Yankee cornbread (sweet). There's nothing better with a bowl of home-made chili.

Tom

Sweet corn bread from Jiffy mix. O.K. take a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix and a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix. Mix both according to the box directions, then fold together (fold together, maybe I should be on a cooking show) Now each box has a different temperature to cook them at so set some place between the two and bake. It will be the lightest best tasting corn bread you ever ate. My girls when young would even eat it as a desert. :applause:

RJ, I cooked up a batch of the Jiffy Mix cornbread today. It's much sweeter than what I normally cook. I can see why it's called Johnny Cake ::

Haw! ennybudy whut would put sweetnin in thar cornbread wud probly put surp on thar grits! Whut's tha wurld cumin two?

Jest pullin yer laig a tad....akshully ah laks ta putt butter 'n sargum lasses in muh crumbled cornpone sometimes.......enny uv u yankee's know what Sorghrum Molasses be?

"...put surp on thar grits"! Now THATS livin high on the hog!

Tha ider o pourin surp on yer grits is 'bout like tha experence Ah had wit my father-in-law a few months ago.
Ah was asked over so's ah could cook him sum grilled fish. Wal, ah figgered sum hominy would go good with it so ah took a can.
Whan it came time ta surve he says "put sum sugar on it fer me". Corse he comes from up in Indiana so's that might explain it.

Speakin o fish, next time ye want ta char broil it put 'bout 1/4 cube o butter in a lil dish along with 'bout a teaspoon o Rosemary (ground up real fine if its the dry kind). Add a shake o garlic powder and stick the dish in the microwave fer 'bout 20 seconds.
Brush the butter on the fish an proceed ta char-broil it. Keep a glas o water handy ta put out the flare ups an produce som real flavorful smoke.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD don't speak loud enough fer the taste o the results. Fact is, whan Ah fixed it that nite, that wer the first time in a long time ma father-in-law et everythin on his plate.

Zonie - Whar in blazes didja git a fish in Ari-Zonie, anna-who???

Regards, sse

P.S. Never mind, jus 'membered there's a bunch 'o lakes in the elevations, but not down in the dust bowl.

Latest posts

Back