• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting fisheyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Prof

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope yall are well. I am an apprentice smokepoler and in anticipation of the 54 cal Early Lancaster I ordered earlier last year from TVM, I've recently gotten into casting my own lead pumpkins. I've got one of those Lee production pots and a Lee mold.

Seriously though, I found that turning up the temp fixed that. Then I started getting another problem. My products started looking like fisheyes, which a distinctive blueish coloration surrounded by yellow or red. The color is good otherwise and the wrinkles are gone, but every ball I cast has a huge watery fisheye looking at me. They look positively ichthyological.

I figure it's one of two things: either the temp is too high, or I'm not getting all the impurities out. I've tried reducing the temp to about 600, but then the wrinkles start coming back. I thought I was pretty good about fluxing and skimming, but it appears something is going wrong somewhere.

Any ideas? Do you think the ones I've made are safe to use?

I'm not real experienced in casting, I've done a few hundred on my forge. Sounds like theres some impurities in your lead, shouldn't be a problem though for plinkin'

Not to worry. Your temp might be a whisker high, but the color is a sign of pure lead. Don't know what causes it, but when you see those pretty colors, you know your lead is close to pure. If your balls get a frosted look, it's from slightly too much heat with an alloy, not pure. It doesn't harm anything, other than appearance.

I've noticed that with time the blue fades away. I just double checked a bunch of .562's that were blue when I cast them last summer, and they're not blue any more. I've never worried about it, but I'm guessing it's from extra heat. I notice it more late in a pot of lead when things have been hot for quite a long while. I use it as a sign I can turn the heat down a bit without problems. Works for me.

All good advise above,,pure lead and hot,,hot is better than wrinkles,,they shoot just fine. You'll even see a "skin" come over pure lead when it's already been drossed and skimmed,,just stir it back in when ya make a dip and they come out fine :thumbsup:

Back