• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting for the first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I finally had some time off and got to pour some lead hoping my new to me t/c hawken likes the lee R.E.A.L bullet figure I would do some .312 and .45 and .284 and yes I used pure lead for my muzzleloader bullet and wheel weights for the rest.

Things I learned today!
1. Lead is hot lol
2. Some dish cloths have nylon in them
3. Lee molds get over heated fast
4. Really need a melting pot because hand pouring is slow
5. It's easy to splash lead

All in all I had fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20240729_153556467.jpg
    IMG_20240729_153556467.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240729_153549395.jpg
    IMG_20240729_153549395.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the world of educated men. All those lessons are well learned. You learned in a few sessions that it took me 20 years to learn. Drop a dollop of molten lead on your jeans and see just how heat transfers from lead to skin without affecting the cloth. How do I know? I have a scar to prove it!

ADK Bigfoot

runnin' ball is a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon! I dump them onto a 100% cotton bath towel, folded several times so it's very cushy. I pour a lot of Minie balls and don't want the drop to distort the skirts.

So I finally had some time off and got to pour some lead hoping my new to me t/c hawken likes the lee R.E.A.L bullet figure I would do some .312 and .45 and .284 and yes I used pure lead for my muzzleloader bullet and wheel weights for the rest.

Things I learned today!
1. Lead is hot lol
2. Some dish cloths have nylon in them
3. Lee molds get over heated fast
4. Really need a melting pot because hand pouring is slow
5. It's easy to splash lead

All in all I had fun!
Lee bottom pour pot is the way to go. I deal with the molds overheating by running two or three at a time alternating to give the ones not in use a chance to cool. A little squirrel cage fan works to help too.

Lee bottom pour pot is the way to go. I deal with the molds overheating by running two or three at a time alternating to give the ones not in use a chance to cool. A little squirrel cage fan works to help too.
I just ordered the 420 so that seen to be the way to go
Yea I just ordered a 420 pot figure that would be good enough I did not even think about a mold over heating until it started too smear under the screw Plate I just started taking breaks and adding the cut offs to the pot a fan is a great tip!

I just ordered the 420 so that seen to be the way to go

Yea I just ordered a 420 pot figure that would be good enough I did not even think about a mold over heating until it started too smear under the screw Plate I just started taking breaks and adding the cut offs to the pot a fan is a great tip!
That is the pot I started out with. I have two of them now and a 20# version as I cast for handgun, and rifle as well as muzzleloaders, The only problem I have had with it is the spout control will sometimes be blocked open a little when you first start up, so when you turn it on don't walk away from it and keep an eye on it, or you're liable to end up with a table covered in molten lead, I learned that the hard way. Once it starts melting, give the spout plug a little twist with a screwdriver at the top to clean out anything that may be interfering with it closing the spout.

They are a great tool and priced right, I have had that first one I bought for probably over 30 years now, and that occasional leakage when I fail to pay attention at start up is the only problem I have had. Running two of them with three or four molds, you can pretty much run continuously as long as you want, casting out of one as the other comes up to temp. after refilling.

I generally leave mine full when I shut it down to prevent rusting of the inside and that may have contributed to those occasional leak mishaps, but the pot has stayed in great shape.

Oh, and gloves, eye protection and leather closed top shoes or boots can come in mighty handy as well. Accidents do happen and it only takes a drop of water to trigger a violent eruption and you really don't want that stuff splashing on you, especially in your eyes.

Now fellas, a drop of water on top of lead will not explode lead, it has to go under the surface.
I hate bottom pour pots, use a laddle. Pace casting to control mold temps. Wait for the sprue to harden before cutting. I cut sprues into an old coffee can, not the pot.
Best pot is the Lee 20# production pot with no bottom pour. Lee uses a remote thermostat and they just never fail.

Now fellas, a drop of water on top of lead will not explode lead, it has to go under the surface.
I hate bottom pour pots, use a laddle. Pace casting to control mold temps. Wait for the sprue to harden before cutting. I cut sprues into an old coffee can, not the pot.
Best pot is the Lee 20# production pot with no bottom pour. Lee uses a remote thermostat and they just never fail.
The problem from the water comes when it is trapped on or in a piece of material you add to the post.

Ladles are fine for the slow paced, authentic, rustic experience, but if I have to cast a lot of bullets, my time is too valuable to fuss around with that. It is however part of the essence of the history of muzzleloading.

I’ve only ever used a ladle. I guess I would notice the difference if I bought a bottom pour. I am content for now however. I would like an additional Lee pot for alloyed lead.

Latest posts

Back