• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting from lead fishing sinkers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innawoodsman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello , I've got quite a good amount of fishing sinkers.

7c388110.jpg

Sorry if the picture is messed up , first try.
So are they good to cast roundballs from?

In my humble experience, some are and some are not. The older they are the better bet they are pure lead or similar. However, the newer stuff is likely to contain zinc or other impurities. They will work ok for a rifle or musket. But may be too hard for a cap and ball revolver. Best thing to do is try them. Lead and lead alloys is a huge can of worms.

If you can dent or cut them with a thumbnail, they're near pure lead and will be just fine. If you can barely mark them, they're too hard and will face the restrictions Moose identifies.

You really don't want to use any of my fishing weights. I cast all ours from 1 oz to 32 oz from waste range lead with tin or antimony alloyed in them. They're not as hard as wheel weights and good for round balls only if you adjust your patch thickness.

Back