• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

casting minnies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcb_1983

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a free minnie mould for my 45. Its a lyman mould and unused in the box so I cleaned them with some carby cleaner and then got them warm and started casting some bullets the problem is the hollow base is not concentric to the rest of the bullet. Is this because the mould is cactus or am I doing some thing wrong. The ones I did cast, while the bullets weren't concentric they were quite uniform in dimension and weight.
These are the first minnies I've cast so is there a better proceedure for casting.

if the bullets are otherwise correct, it is probably the mould. i would contact Lyman and see if anything can be done to fix it. i've had good luck with Lyman and once (long ago) i wrote them asking if a mould which i'd let rust could be fixed, or if i should just mark it up to not paying attention. the sent a brand new one, no charge, by return mail.

Check to see if the plug is concentric or whether it sits concentrically in the mold. I doubt if all your minies could be uniformly deformed from cooling.

Does everything align when the mold is empty and you hold it closed? You may have a burr on one of the mating surfaces that is making the cone set crooked. Also check the frame that holds the center cone in place. It could be bent a little. Just guessing as we can't see it from here, but may be something simple.

Latest posts

Back