• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cast thousands upon thousands of projectiles every year, from 32 caliber pistol, to 525gr 45 rifle bullets. Fired up the pot today to put my 6 cavity Lee .490 round ball mould to use. Didn't take long to remember that you still have to pay attention to what you're doing. About 20 out of 80 cast had slight defects that sent them back into the melt. Casting with almost pure lead can be more difficult than casting with the normal 20:1 alloy I use. Want to do a test between the Lee .490, the Green Mountain .495, and T/C .490 at 50 yards. The Lee mould leaves almost no sprue, and casts a consistent ball.

I like Lee molds quite a bit myself and cast up a batch of .49 this morning.
Got to get the six cavity molds hot and keep them that way,evenly.

Back to the drawing board! Swaged Hornady .490 balls, 70gr FFFg Goex, .018 patch and an RWS cap, 1.5" at 50 yards off my shooting sticks, my .490 from the Lee mould was easily twice that with the same combo, powder charge up or down netted the same result. The .495 ball from the Green Mountain was even worse. Burned a lot of powder, and came away knowing the T/C Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel is capable. Came home, broke out the caliper and a micrometer. Going to have to add a little tin, as I have determined that they vary by .002" from the Lee mould, and .003" from the Green Mountain mould, weight is consistent, but disappointed that the Green Mountain mould drops a .492" ball, basically the same as the Lee. I have work to do.

Dave

Back