• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caywood Southern Mountain Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to Caywoods shop for the first time and looked at one of his Southern Mtn rifles in .40 cal a couple days ago. I fell in love with that rifle! It handled beautifully and was a beaut to look at also. It has a 38in swamped barrel and the whole rifle weighs about 5.5 lbs. I was wondering if anyone here has one and if they like it or not. As of right now I have a new goal in life and it is owning one of these rifles.

can't comment as to the Caywood, but some time ago i built a southern mountain around an A weight Colerain 42 in barrel in 40 cal, and it's now about my best rifle in the whole wide world. something about the way the southern mountain looks that really speaks to me.

save up your dough, and get the rifle you really want: if it's the Caywood, go for it!

well, that's one guy's opinion, and may well be worth what you just paid for it.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad muzzle loader, just some are better than others. I have no experience with the rifle you speak of but If it strikes your fancy, go for it. I don't know about the "Caywood" but I do wish I had a mid range caliber such as the .40. All I have now are .36's and .54's. There were many rifles I bought on a whim and I never regretted any of them. If I were you, I would not hesitate.

HH60

I just happen to own and shoot a .32 Southern Mtn. Rifle by Danny Caywood. Mine is a stumpwood stock and carved well. It is very light and handles extremely well. In short I am in love with it.

Now don't get me wrong, I also shoot a .62, a .50 and a .40 rifle (all custom made because I happen to know these gunmakers very well) and a 15 gauge double shotgun (percussion, sorry) made in 1863 but quite shootable.

I do shoot a lot, but the .32 happens to be my favorite.

The gun barrel happens to be back in Ark. having an adjustable peep made for it, following a fall which fractured my scull and the orbit of my right eye, leaving the eye fused to the fractured scull following the reconstruction surgery. So, here's hopin' Danny can do his magic for me again.

In short... buy the gun!!! you will never regret it!!! :2

I have a Southern Mountain rifle .36 with 38" straight barrel. It is by another maker and handles like a dream. It's a very small, light and accurate rifle. I love those SM rifles. You won't be disappointed, I'm sure of that.

Just (30 min. ago) got my barrel back from Danny Caywood, with the new "peep" site. It is sweet, good engineering, and superb machining. I am looking forward to the "work" of siting her in again. I think (and hope) Danny and Mike did it again for me.

Back