• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Celebrating The 4th With Black Powder Fireworks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I created a little smoke and noise this weekend with weapons from the era of our country's founding fathers. But instead of pointing them up at the sky and wasting good powder and lead, I aimed them at small woodland creatures that look really good lying in a skillet of grease. It was a bit of a challenge, with all the moisture in the air. but I was able to keep my powder dry enough to bring these three to the house.

Darren

2016PistolKill-1_zpspvvxyy4u.jpg

FourthOfJulyKill_zpsslhkqwbh.jpg

2016PistolKill-2_zpstnupdah1.jpg

Congratulations, sounds like a great 4th of July celebration to me! :hatsoff:

I'm jealous though, NC's squirrel season starts in October.

Years ago when I lived "close to the city" I would invite neighborhood kids to shoot my ML in the back yard on the 4th. Load was about 5gr BP and rumpled news paper projectile. Fun but next day yard cleanup no fun. The kids had a great time and hopefully learned something.

We don't get to hunt in July down here, but I also thought the most appropriate way to celebrate the 4th of July was with blackpowder and a flintlock. :thumbsup:
I loaded up and spent the morning at the range, poking holes in paper and ringing a couple of steel silhouettes.
You never know when them pesky Brits might wanna come back. :wink:

Thanks, all! SkyChief, the squirrel load I use in that pistol is 40 grains of FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed wad, 3/4 oz. #6 shot and 1 overshot card. I keep my shots to within 15 yards.

Darren

Very nice - guns and critter gettin', both!

Looks like the first squirrel was hit amidships with a ball fired from that pistol. I'm thinking if you are hitting squirrels with a pistol, I certainly wouldn't want to duel with you! :surrender: LOL

Both of those guns were made for me by my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, TN. I pick out all the parts, have them shipped to him and he sends me a working firearm. All my flinters have a left handed large Siler lock on them.

To give full disclosure, I did not shoot a PRB out of that pistol to kill those squirrels. Besides not being able to hit one, I believe a .6" ball wouldn't leave me much meat to eat on if I were to connect. The pistol has a 20 gauge smoothbore barrel so I shoot 40 grains FFF and 3/4 oz. of #6 shot out of it for squirrels. I also limit my shots to around 15 yards.

Darren

Back