• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhughh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got to order me a New England Fowler kit from Chambers. They're short of barrels right now, so I'll be waiting a while for that, but the rest should ship this week. Don't say you weren't warned that I'd be back with many questions............

Hugh

Mike,
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm no artist like yourself. If mine comes out half as nice as that one, I'll be thrilled.

Let me ask you, though, as I'm surfing around here trying to learn some things. I've seen reference to you painting a stock before staining or something like that? Can you share more about that, please?

Thanks,
Hugh

Hugh,

I just recieved my Chambers kit yesterday (Mark Silver's Virginia) and couldn't be more pleased with the product. Barbie was waiting on barrels from Rice and thought it might be the end of the month before my kit got shipped. The Rice barrels arrived early and my kit was shipped Monday evening and arrived at the House in 2 days. I'm starting on it Sunday.

Mike, thats a real nice fowler ? what type finish and stain did you use ? Joe

Has anyone built one of these---Mike, this is certainly for you, too---and took pics of the kit as it arrived? Just curious to jump the gun a little while I'm waiting to have my own to look at.

Hugh

Thanks so much. Would love to see. Hoping my kit went in the mail yesterday. Not able to reach Chambers today, of course, but hope to really get the fever Monday. Looking forward to the pics.

Take care,
Hugh

Let me ask you, though, as I'm surfing around here trying to learn some things. I've seen reference to you painting a stock before staining or something like that? Can you share more about that, please?
Check out my gunbuilding 101 tutorial. Close to the end of it I explain this process in detail. :thumbsup:

LHunter said:
Mike, thats a real nice fowler ? what type finish and stain did you use ? Joe
That one is stained with Jim Kliens analyn dye stains, and finished with Chambers' stock oil.

Hugh, sorry I dropped the ball on the pics. Batteries were dead in the digital camera and I started on the rifle today. It took about 3 hours to do final fitting on the barrel. Then I started on the lock before husbandly duties got it the way. The barrel wasn't that far off but after screwing up my last inlet on a blank I wasn't about to do it on a kit I just paid 900.00 for. That being said I think Chambers kits are worth every penny. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. I know I am.

Not a problem, Tommy; I completely understand. The thing I'm mainly interested in seeing is the degree of inletting already done for the buttplate and sideplate. Having a few ideas while I'm waiting...............

Thanks again,

Hugh

Hugh, you should have it tomorrow. It's already left Memphis tonight on it's last leg of the journey! :grin:

Here is my Chambers Penn Fowler that I got back from Mark Wheland a couple of weeks back. The pic doesn't do it justice, I'll try one in the sunlight later. Dark stock, all steel metal with the antique blue finish. 20ga.
Chambers kits are the best. The folks are wonderful to deal with also. I am planning to order another soon to do myself.
[url] http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/nuttbush/IMG_0830.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the kit arrived today. Going through the parts now....Will take some pictures later and try to find out how to post them on here. Looking really sharp, though. I got the upgraded maple stock, and, wow, what figure. Will try to get pics up soon.

Hugh

Back