• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chesapeake Bay horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricktwin

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my horn I made when I first moved to Virginia six years ago. I was looking for a job, so I had some extra time on my hands. This is the result. It's an 18" horn with maple base plug secured by wooden pegs and a hand carved violin peg shaped spout plug. I put a full map of the bay and some native wildlife around it. Thanks for looking.

Ron Smith
IMG_5669.jpg

It's an 18" horn? What are you shooting, a 12 Lb. Napoleon? Just kidding, it's very nice. You should be very proud of your work!

JiminTexas said:
It's an 18" horn? What are you shooting, a 12 Lb. Napoleon? Just kidding, it's very nice. You should be very proud of your work!

Actually, I've been researching what were known as "storage horns" of large size that just hung on a peg on the wall. These were kept to replenish the supply in the hunting horns and were often ornate because they weren't carried in the field. There were some major issues in having containers that were moisture resistant and not letting the powder cake up. I keep looking for nice large horns to do in this style. I've seen one that had the inside blocked with a plug of wood so it would hold a pound or so of powder, a regular base plug installed and then the large end of the horn was cut about three inches above the base and a possibles box inserted, with the horn cut out used as the lid. It had a leather strap installed to tie the lid closed. That is one of my all time projects to try.

Outstanding.

For a Midwesterner you got sucked into the local historical, and natural history, culture here right quick! Very creditable to honor us with that work.

If you...ummm...ever find yourself with lots of time on your hands and are interested in taking a commision for similar work - let me know.

Pierre a' Fusil said:
Outstanding.
... Very creditable to honor us with that work.

If you...ummm...ever find yourself with lots of time on your hands and are interested in taking a commision for similar work - let me know.

Yeah Rick, I like the horn that much too. Did you do most of that freehand?

I carry one about that big for me bessy :thumbsup: I get a lot of funny looks when I tellem it's me primin horn :blah: ...Mark

Pierre a' Fusil said:

XXX,
The entire map was drawn freehand and then scimmed in, inked and buffed. My wife told me I needed to add a "croaker" to a map of the Bay. Being from Indiana, I had to ask what the heck a croaker was. I thought it was a frog. Nope. We don't have too many salt water fish up that way.

Pierre,
I'd be glad to talk to you about a project horn if you're interested. You can send me an email and we can discuss it. Thanks for all the kind words folks.

Ron (Rick is my twin brother, hence the moniker)

Back