• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chicken or egg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun question: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That would be the prototype cast bullet, two round balls stuck together from a double ball load... :haha:

When they saw how it worked, someone said, "Hey, what if we made them like this to start with?" :bull: ::

The rest is history...

Read some research on some Indians in the Amazon rain forest that were reloading modern shotgun shells with black powder. They made their cast bullets by whittling a stick to the same size as bore of the shotgun, poking the stick in the ground and filling the hole with molten lead. Guess for them the bullet came first, then the mold block! The first guns wern't bullet shooters any way, they shot arrows out of them.

I'd bet every 20-30 shots they had to get a bigger stick. Can you imagine stuffing a lead bullet covered with dirt down your barrel? :D

Trick question. If it's truly a 'cast' bullet, then the mold must have come first by definition.

And that's the soil from a rain forest he's talking about. All leaf litter and monkey poo. I though it was a pretty clever solution, but I guess it depends on your local dirt. You couldn't jab a stick in the hard-pan up in my garden deep enough to get a proper bullet. :winking:

Sure wish I could remember wher I read 'bout a "blind" man who used to make "wooden" roundball molds!! (maybe it was in one of the Fox Fire books!) ::

Back