• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chigger ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howdy, need some advice. Been deer hunting the past few days. Man am I getting tired of being dinner for the chiggers. I'll be up front and tell you that I am hunting in shorts and a T-shirt since it is 60 degrees outside. Maybe long pants would help but I doubt it. What products work for you? I don't want to smell like an Avon lady when I go in the woods. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I usually find that hunting in 10 below ruins their appetite. Fill your pant legs with dry ice. I can remember once it was warm enough during early bow season that a mosquito was out. Saw a tick once, but that was in South Carolina. Not even sure what a chigger is.

You might also try rubbing A-1 Sauce or Old Bay Spice on your legs ($&%#@! Southerners . . . 60 degrees he says).

We always took a bath with vinegar or cholox in the bath water. Don't ask me if it worked, it was just what my mother said do.

For chiggars (and ticks) I use sprays with high concentrations of deet, permetherone, which I spray heavily on pant cuffs inside and out, plus around tops of socks so they won't come up under the pants from the ground...and spray fairly good amounts around shirt sleeves, neck openings, etc.
Don't sit on the ground, don't walk through and rub against tall grasses & brush to minimize getting them on the outside of the rest of your clothes.
If you do start itching from them, get a bottle of "chiggar-rid" to seal over the spots...

Back