• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chris Schalk? Builder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or have any info on a builder named Chris Schalk?
We have found an old longrifle with the initials CS on the barrel flat and lock plate.
My friend tells me he has found a Chris Schalk who supposedly built rifles from 1825 thr 1875?
I cant find him anywhere, but am still looking.
Any idea on where we could find photos of his work?
Thanks

That could stand for "Confederate States" as well. Early in the war a lot of much older firearms, including flintlocks, were pressed into service by the Confederacy due to a shortage of weapons. Depending on when the gun was made, that might be a possibility. Photos of the gun would help some in that regard.

WOW, I hadn't thought of that.
It also has three other initials on it that we think are the owners. They are on the patchbox lid and on a thumb piece.
An aquaintance who is far more knowledgable than I has looked the gun over and thinks it is of Central Pa origin, from around 1840.
I am going to try and place some photos on here but am not good at computers either.
Adios

Back