• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the .40cal Lancaster today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Christened the .40cal Lancaster today”¦still hunted a little woodlot for squirrels”¦saw a few but the 6” of this years dry leaves was like walking on corn flakes, very difficult to stalk within range. But one squirrel I stalked might have been a little dim witted because he let me get to within 30 yards before he made me halfway through a step and hopped up on the side of a tree.

I eased my foot down but was a few steps away from any kind of rest and couldn’t dare move any more”¦so I had to take the shot off hand on my hind legs and a little off balance at that, but managed to take him off the tree.
(40grns Goex 3F / .018" pillow ticking / Hornady .395" ball)

This .40cal Late Lancaster shoots as good as it looks”¦and that couple of hours and a few stalks on squirrels was more fun than deer hunting”¦but really need some rain to kill these leaves before any serious stalking can be done.

112511Christenedthe40calLancaster.jpg

Love the picture! I had the same problem with corn flakes yesterdays the woods dried out quick and cost me on a couple of stalks..... :hatsoff:

Did you manage a head shot, or did you hit the body? How was the damage with the .40?

Body shots on Fox Squirrels here in Indian with my .36 and 40gr of FFFg don't seem to do that much damage if you put it in the rib cage or through the back.

No head shot...when he hopped on the side of the tree he had a vine as big around as a ball park hot dog running full length along his side covering the lower half of his head, legs, etc.

But...I WAS going to christen the .40cal (LOL) and he was seconds from bolting on up the tree so I shot him through the biggest part I could see which was his middle.
Turns out after that he was not fit to go in the game vest...the entry hole on his left side basically closed up neatly, but the off side exit is hidden from the camera for a reason...

Roundball,
Nice hunt and super rifle! Now you have to go deer hunting with the .40 as you owe your loyal followers a test report complete with pics.

Rat Trapper said:
Roundball,
Nice hunt and super rifle! Now you have to go deer hunting with the .40 as you owe your loyal followers a test report complete with pics.
I saved a Doe tag but have to get to the range first to see about that double ball load.

Right now I'm into a few squirrels I discovered...tomorrow I'm going to see if I can bag one with a load of #5s from the .54cal smoothbore Virginia.

(retirement is great !!!)
:grin:

Back