• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrome Tanned Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seleach

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have made a few accouterments out of veg tan leather and dyed them with Fiebing's Leather dye. I have just purchased some very nice upholstery leather that was originally sold by Townsend Leather. Best I can tell from their website this is chrome tanned leather, finished with aniline dye.

I want to re-dye some of it from light tan to med or dark brown. Can this be done successfully do you think?

Here's a picture with the color pretty close. I guess my main concern is about the finish accepting a dye and what kind of dye.

It may have a protective coating. I would try a test piece with and without cleaning with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol then see which one will take dye.

I've used a lot of that type leather over the last 50 years and generally you will need acetone to remove the slick finish - try denatured alcohol first if you prefer, but..... After that use any good quality commercial leather dye such as Fiebing or Angelus and then finish as per normal...

Acetone is probably the best bet for preparation...I've used that to strip the finish from western boots prior to re-dyeing in a more acceptable color and had good results. Use an old rag dampened with the acetone, wipe across the leather changing rags often to avoid redistributing the old finish. (It's best to do this outside or in a very well-ventilated area.)

I thank you all for your input. I cut a sample piece of leather and wiped the strip on the left with the alcohol and the strip on the right with acetone. The center strip was left like it came.

I spread Feibings medium brown over the whole sample and immediately wiped the excess off. I didn't like the looks of that so I applied another coat of dye and let it set for a couple of minutes and then 'dabbed' off the excess with an old t-shirt. I let it dry and then put come leather conditioner on and buffed it off.

The picture doesn't do the colors complete justice, but the alcohol side came out a slightly lighter brown than the acetone side and the middle was rather reddish.

This was all very useful information and I 'preciate you fellers helping me out.

as promised, I queried my eldest daughter, who runs a leather business ... she uses stuff that comes already dyed (for the most part) but her business partner does a lot of dyeing ... here's what she says:

I have never had any luck with over dying a top grain. Usually there is a sealant on it of some kind, such prevents the dye from taking well. It is worth a shot on a small piece, however

I get the sense that you might have better luck than she suggests if you use acetone ... but, dang, that stuff kills too many brain cells for my use ...

sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Thanks MSW. I've got a good respirator and a fan, I'm going to give it a shot with the acetone.

Besides, I've got a bunch of dead brain cells already and maybe the acetone will revive a few! :haha:

Back