• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chronograph flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my Chambers English pistol out today for the first time. This a smoothbore 20 gauge, and I loaded a 0.600 round ball with a 0.010 pillow ticking patch lubed with somebody's commercial compound over FFg. But since I was also testing some modern loads, I had my Garmin chronograph with me. It picks up rounds that my LabRadar never would, and did so today. Only two shots: 30 gr yielded 379 fps with pretty light felt recoil, 40 gr did 503 fps with a noticeable jump. Anyone have data to compare?

Interesting though no data that is relevant to your gun.

LabRadar tracks the BP revolvers in 45 Caliber that I shoot. I have had velocities down to 400 fps but it was one off as it was a test round in an unmentionable.

That Garmin is a neat little device. Not going to change of course but its good to see competition and a very different footprint.

I was annoyed at Labradar in that they charged you for the carry bag that it should have come with it. I made my own stand so that was not an issue but it all costs.

It should have a built in chargeable battery. I am seeing $400 now though for the case and battery that is closer to $480.

Interesting though no data that is relevant to your gun.

LabRadar tracks the BP revolvers in 45 Caliber that I shoot. I have had velocities down to 400 fps but it was one off as it was a test round in an unmentionable.

That Garmin is a neat little device. Not going to change of course but its good to see competition and a very different footprint.

I was annoyed at Labradar in that they charged you for the carry bag that it should have come with it. I made my own stand so that was not an issue but it all costs.

It should have a built in chargeable battery. I am seeing $400 now though for the case and battery that is closer to $480.
I'm still using old reliable ......... an Oehler P-35. It's been a very reliable unit.

I have a 50 cal pistol I built. It has a 12" DeHass barrel. I wanted a long barrel as I built this for deer hunting.

From shooting over my Crony Chronograph, shooting a 240gr Hornady PA Conical over 50gr of FFF (A very stout load) I got a 6 shot average of 939fps.

1721820276662.png

No issue that the Chrony worked. Pain in the butt to setup for rifles, less so for pistols. And if it works and works for you, that is great.

Mine just died. It was not abused, it just quit. Often is a loose connection, nope, went through it, all pristine, something on the board went and that was all she wrote. $105 gone.

Now I could have put in another $100 and been back in business but it was, I don't like setting it up, its annoying to the other shooters if I keep delaying them and sooner or latter you are going to shoot it (I acualy knicked mine early on, worked fine for years after)_

So, yea the Labradar cost a bunch, I sold a gun to pay for it and I am as happy as a clam at high tide.

Its good to know the options and the cost so you can determine what works best for you.

Back