• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chunk Gun Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackStock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Everyone,

I am thinking of putting a .54 chunk gun together. I have been looking at the new Track of the Wolf chunk gun kit and was wondering what everyone thought about sources for components. As you may know, I have put guns together from various suppliers and already did one from Track.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
CS

CS, For a chunk gun you might think about going to TVM and seeing what Matt & Toni Avance will do for you. You could go with either their Tennessee Rifle or Southern Rifle with a heavy 1" wide barrel. In addition, you'd probably have greater choice in buttplates and trigger guards by going to TVM. Also, the TVM kit would come already cut for the length of pull that you tell them. Have you already decided on a caliber? Le Grand

John, A "chunk gun" is a heavy rifle used for shooting in matches where the shots are fired from the prone position with the rifle rested across a "chunk," a log or just some chunk of wood. Those are usually one-shot matches and the targets are simple "X's", where the shot closest to center wins. While this type of match is most often found in the South, they can be found in smaller numbers all across the country. When you go to one, be sure to wear your "bibs." Le Grand

The grandaddy of all chunk gun matches,the Alvin C. York Shooting Match is held each spring in Pall Mall near Jamestown in Fentress.The 2007 date is March 31,2007. County,Tennessee the home of Sargeant Alvin York. This is the "Biggie"and when I was there a couple of years ago it seemed like they had better than 500 shooters.Many shooters dress in early 20th century style with an older style man's hat,bib overalls,white shirts,and old style ties.Others dress in denims and baseball caps.Open iron sights and perhaps sunshades are the order of the day.Guns are all muzzle loaders with large bores and very heavy barrels. 30 lb.barrels aren't unusual.Ya' gotta be there!
Tom Patton :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :bow:

a 1" .54 is way too light for a competitive chunk gun. That would be fine for a .45. I't suggest a 1 1/8" minimum for a .54 and a 1 1/4" would be ideal.
If your going to hire the assembly of your gun out I'd not go to the cheapest guy around, but rather a guy that is known for extreamly accurate rifles. It will make a HUGE difference on where you place at the end of the day. :winking:
I've built 3 of these in the past, and the archecture for a gun you shoot prone is different than an off hand gun.

IMHO, I, too, feel that a .54 in a 1" barrel is being too light. Weight Vs. recoil is a major factor in this game. If you are going to use a 1" barrel, .50 is max. and preferrably a barrel that is 44" to 56" long. It's not very wise to use an off hand gun to shoot these matches as the sighting is a wee bit different. Here is what a well made .50 cal. chunk gun can do:
smSpider.jpg
Cheers, Bookie

"The Gun Works" seem to have a few of these type of rifles for sale, from time to time.
Their pictures are not up to TOTW standards.
Try the site you may find something interesting.
I have never dealt with thse people, maybe some of the other good people here can shed some more light on their stuff.

Old Ford

Mike, what is the difference in stock design for a prone shooting chunk gun and an off hand gun? I am just beginning to lay out the stock design for my first chunk gun. Is the stock straighter with less drop on a chunk gun? Would a flat buttplate make prone shooting more comfortable? I am building this around a 1" .40 barrell. Any wisdom would be appreciated

Natchitoches???

Cool!

I lived in Pineville for several years and shot with the Bayou Muzzleloaders. Glad to have you with us. Tom Cogburn in Boyce helped me build my Tennessee.

CS

Mike and Bookie,

Thanks for the info.

I was looking for a parts suppleir and ideas. I generally cobble my own guns together.
I had good luck when a friend (Tom Cogburn mentioned above)helped me avoid too many mistakes.

I was also hoping to stick with a caliber that I already use often which is .40, .50 and .54. Maybe I should think about a .50. I was also thinking that there was a bit too much drop in that TotW stock.

After years of telling people that the only .45 worth shooting wears a copper jacket and brass pants, I think that I do not want to eat crow by going to one now!

CS

The TOW stock is really an off hand stock. It CAN be used for an over the log gun, but you must decide what you wish to build. I even shoot my chunk gun off hand once in a while. .50 cal. in 1" to 1 1/4" is getting to be a standard by many, many shooters. Many folk (me, too) think an earlier and flatter butt plate is more comfortable. You can see what I shoot on my website. When you lay your sights out, make sure you are laying down and the rifle's front end resting on something. You will notice that your sights will be in a different position as your cheeck is in a different position than "normal". I really like TOW's sights and there is a little formula for the sizing and width of the notch. Most of the shooters in these parts use the same sights. You can private email me for more particulars. I'll be pulling out for a week on the Big Island pretty soon. Cheers, Bookie

What type of front sight would you use on a 56" barrel? I have enough trouble with the front sight on my 38" barrelled over-the-log rifle. :shocked2:

Great. Another gun I can't afford to get interested in.
So how about more details. Are these always half or full stock? Open sights (no apertures) required? What is the desired stock configuration for prone chunk shooting? How about average barrel length, and average overall weight? Sidelock only, or underhammers allowed?

Bill, you're asking a lot of questions and I'm leaving for Hawaii pretty soon. The guns are full and half stocks. Weight is usually a preferred option. Drop is not usually as severe as on off hand guns. Side locks WITH OUT coil mainsprings, mule ears, and under hammers WHERE THE TRIGGER GUARD IS ALSO THE MAIN SPRING are acceptable. Use as long of barrel that you can handle. 42" thru 56" are the most popular lengths. Barrel width is usually 1" to 1 1/4" across the flats and do go larger quite often. Many prefer a flatter butt plate. Bench rest guns are not acceptable, nor are their style of sights. Bookie

Bill,
Brookie is correct. A chunk gun is a traditional rifle with fixed sights. You can make anything you want but may I suggest you shoot what ever you have that meets those requirements. Then make a new rifle which solves the problems you found while shooting your other rifle. My biggest problem with chunk is I screw up. I shot on someone elses target, placed my target in the wrong place or shot my sighter to smitherens and had a big white patch to shoot at. Good chunk shooters dont't make these errors. The gun needs to be accurate but the biggest problem is the shooter. By the way chunk is as much fun to shoot as any match that has been devised.
Pete

Latest posts

Back