• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil war era rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking that after I finish my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle I might was to pursue a representative Civil War era rifle. What do you guys think I should be looking for? Springfield 1861? Or something else? I can't afford an original, and it's to shoot anyway, not to collect, so modern replica I suppose, new or used. Production rifle and maker? Or kit rifle and maker? Opinions? Thanks ...

If you can find an older EuroArms Enfield they are pretty good shooters. I have had my sense 1989 and have shot a few deer with it. ArmiSport is the number one supplier of guns now along with Pedersoli. Checkout Lodge Pole for one. Most of the CW Sutler are running low or are out of muskets.

@wiscoaster, I’m no expert but I started out much like you - I wanted something representative of the firearms my ancestors used in the ACW. I understand that the most common were the 1861/63 Springfield and 1853 Enfield rifle muskets. If you’re patient enough you should be able to find good deals on used guns from several manufacturers, on this forum, N-SSA classifieds, or a variety of other online auction sources or vendors. Knowing how much $$ you have or are willing to send can also help us help you.

A few years ago I started looking for a P1853 Enfield reproduction. I looked at every possibility, kit versus fully finished, used versus new, etc. New guns were too pricey for my budget at the time so I shopped online sources for months. In doing so I eventually bought an Armi Sport Enfield, two Parker Hale Enfields, and two Miroku Springfields, plus some other ACW long guns. (It quickly became an obsession, I admit.) I paid a low of $350 (Miroku 1863) and a high of $820 (Parker Hale 1858) all within the past five years. If you’re not averse to paying full price for a new gun like I am, you’ll spend more. But if you have time the shopping for me was fun and educational, and I have the satisfaction of having made at least a couple of really good deals.

Good luck!

If you are only going to have one, I'd make it an 1861 Springfield. Most heavily used musket during the war, and was used heavily on both sides. Definitely the most common Northern rifle musket and captured ones were used by the South.

Any of the suggestions would be a good choice. If you're considering using it for hunting that might not the best of choices. unless it's perhaps a Musketoon.

. . . pursue a representative Civil War era rifle. What do you guys think I should be looking for? Springfield 1861? Or something else?. . .
Other than saying Civil War era, and that you want to shoot the rifle, we don't know what your shooting interests are. I shoot my original Enfield Short Rifle at 50m offhand and 100-600 yards prone in competition. If you're looking at extending range, then the leaf sight of the Springfield may not be so easy to fine tune elevation. The rearsight on the Springfield and the P.53 Enfield is quite close to the eye, which for some may not give a good sight picture. That on the Enfield Short Rifle is further forward and can give a sharper sight picture. The Enfield however has a straight stock and some may find the Springfield more comfortable, especially if shooting is primarily short range offhand. If you're not wedded to the idea of a Springfield, try and get to handle (and shoot if possible) other rifles of the era and find one you feel comfortable with.

David

Stick to a two band gun if you want to use it for hunting. The three band guns are just too long to deal with.

Now, putting a bayonet on a three band is a real attention getter!

I have several originals and repros. An original 1856 Enfield Naval rifle is my favorite. I have a repro Cook carbine that is exceptionally accurate and a joy to carry. Hits like a freight train too.

The 1853 Enfield's had a weird stock. The comb is so high that the sights can no be aligned with a modern shooting hold. You have to point it straight away from your torso, like the tacti-cool guys do today. IF you hold it across your chest like a target shooter would your cheekbone prevents getting low enough to comfortably align the sights. They actually did it on purpose. The idea did not last. They hamstrung, arguably the best, rifled musket ever made. The Parker Hales copied the bad stock design.

I'm running into a bit of a problem searching Gunbroker for original Springfield 1861 rifes. If anybody has any suggestions on the proper search critieria, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Many options for search civil war musket, civil war rifle, Springfield rifle, Springfield musket, civil war rifle, even just Springfield 1861 and so on. I usually find many related items. Look in antique and collectable firearms sections.also Gunderson militaria and Ambrose antique firearms

I'm running into a bit of a problem searching Gunbroker for original Springfield 1861 rifes. If anybody has any suggestions on the proper search critieria, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Look under the antique firearms and collectable firearms sections. Just do civil war weapons, civil war musket, civil war rifle, Springfield,1861 and so on. Try Gunderson militaria and I think its called Ambrose antique firearms. Good luck

IIFFFF you were N-SSA, you'd find them about everywhere you look. We kinda sorta trade them back and forth.

GunJoker, good luck.

The 1853 Enfield's had a weird stock. . . . IF you hold it across your chest like a target shooter would your cheekbone prevents getting low enough to comfortably align the sights. . . .
That’s how I hold the rifle when shooting offhand and without any problems. I guess it is down to physique and clearly some stock shapes will fit the user better than others. I like the straight stock and can still get good contact when shooting at 600 yards.

David

Save a few extra bucks and get an original, you will never regret that decision. Like others have said, you can get a nice shooting original for a few hundred bucks more than a Italian repro. I am also firmly convinced that a Springfield or Special Contract musket is mechanically superior to a repro, as the Italians have set metallurgy back five centuries with their cheap metal and constantly breaking springs. No replacing the "cool" factor when using an original in the hunting forest. My favorite is my Colt 1861 Special Musket, mfg. 1862. Using .580 cast 510 grain Minies (from Pat Kaboskey, the Civil War Bullet Man) and the service charge of 60 grains (I use 3f, original loads were 1.5f, or so) I get superb accuracy at 100 yards. A .58 caliber, 510 grain slug at 1050 fps just clobbers deer sideways and down.

Attachments

• 20200102_150542.jpg
    20200102_150542.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201109_113008.jpg
    20201109_113008.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm thinking that after I finish my Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle I might was to pursue a representative Civil War era rifle. What do you guys think I should be looking for? Springfield 1861? Or something else? I can't afford an original, and it's to shoot anyway, not to collect, so modern replica I suppose, new or used. Production rifle and maker? Or kit rifle and maker? Opinions? Thanks ...
I’m thinking the best modern reproduction Civil War rifle is the Parker Hale Enfield. Made in England. But that’s just an opinion.

Back