• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btech

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, here's my next challenge. The seller claims this to be a very rare 1840's to 1860's Double Barrel 12 ga Belgium Liege shotgun brought into the country during the Civil War.
So I pointed out to him that The Belgium proof marks I see in the pics are proofs used from the early 1800's thru the early 1900's. I asked him what specific evidence did he have that this gun was in the US during the Civil War.
His response was "Well I am a member of a local antique gun club. I had it looked at by one of the guys and bought it from a different one. Both said the same thing. Based on the back action locks and their particular style. they made the same statements I have in the listing. There was an influx of these guns in the 1840's and 50's leading up to the war. This particular gun was actually made by them for the American market and would have been brought in along with 1000's of others at that time. It is of a particular type".

This answer didn't hold much water for me. There's a Belgium black powder proof mark used for 80 years and an inspectors stamp. I would like some opinions and other things I should look for.

Sotgun.jpg

Shotgun2-1.jpg

BelgiumProof3.jpg

Sorry about picture quality. That's what was posted.

Could this gun have been imported into the US during the Civil War...well maybe, but that doesn't mean it has any direct connection to any person or place that is of any historical importance. More thank likely it was sold in a hardware store in the midwest, and spent it's entire working life shooting rabbits on a farm, 100's of miles from any military action in the war.

Could have just as easily been imported in 1852 as in 1862. These cheap Belgian "export quality" guns were imported by the 1000's in the 19th century.

By stating that this gun "might" have been imported during the Civil war, the seller is doing nothing more than to mislead potential buyers in the hopes of making a couple extra bucks on the gun.

If the gun has very good bores (unlikely) it is worth $200-$300 tops.

Thanks for the feedback. I kinds felt the same way. The bore looks ok, but he wants $450 just for the barrel. I don't understand these guys that disassemble a good gun and sell all the parts on eBay. I told him that just buying the barrel is pretty much useless to me.

Typical Belgium, particularly Liege, proofs. The scroll "EL" indicates 1852 or later. The single "L" on the other barrel is the key. With the shine from the photo flash I can't tell, but if there's a * above the "L" you're looking at 1852-1853...if no *, as late as 1924. Going to have to get a better shot form Mr. Take'um-Apart!

Why the high price even if it was imported around the Civil War? Thousands upon thousands of shotguns were imported throughout the 1800s, from Belgium & England. Doesn't make them worth any more, unless they are specifically associated with a known name. If it was General McClellan's shotgun, or once was used by Gen'l Hooker or some such thing---WITH the paperwork to back up the claim, then it might be worth something. Otherwise it's just a generic shotgun, one of thousands, and can be found in good shooting condition at most any gun show.

I've got a C. Sylvester that I bought some years ago, restored and have used it ever since. It's a good shooting gun, quite possibly from around the Civil War, but it's just a good hunting gun, nothing more.

Rod

I appreciate the info. This doesn't seem worth it to chase any farther.

Have yet to see any of these bring over $200 at local auctions.Looked at one in a true 12ga at a gun show.Guy wanted $250.I offered $150.Lowest he would do was $170.I walked away as I already had 4.

Oh no, that's Confederate.

"NOW how much would you pay? But wait, there's more! If you act now..."

I offered the guy $250. He said my offer was "silly". He wants over $500 for the total gun. Told him good luck with that. We'll see who's "silly".

Latest posts

Back