• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean percussion revolver during shooting session-increased misfires as session goes on

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caito

32 Cal
Reaction score
When I shoot my percussion revolvers , as the nipples get dirty , i get more misfires. I cannot seat the caps as well. Generally this i a 36+ round shooting session. Do others have this issue?? Any quick way to clean a revolver? thanks

I think what you have is normal. I have run a few extended shoots on one gun and pretty much the same.

I carry a couple small drill bits to clean out the cones as hey have an edge that will cut crud a bit vs the smooth tools.

I also carry Carbon Killer 2000 and a rag as well as patches so I can spot clean things. I do kind of a quick field clean getting the worst of the crud off the back, around the forcing cone and the spindle.

Carbon Killer 2000 is just that, a non haz non (or low) toxic cleaner that focuses on carbon breakup. While its intended for barrel cleaning it works on BP stuff as that is a lot of carbon.

I also carry a variety of screwdriver tips in a multi tool if its thick enough to scrape.

Sometimes a cap gets smashed into the back side of the frame behind the hammer. That area also builds up carbon and needs to be cleaned.

I have a plastic box I carry the BP stuff in. But also a tool box I carry general tools in and my pistol or rifle loads in the bottom.

I try to keep all that stuff in the box or make sure its in there before I leave. A lot of years of shooting and what I find needed all the time but also occasionally.

Our range has garden carts so you can just load it up into that and pull it down to the range. I do the same for my rifle shooting. Another box for that and the Toolbox is common tools for both.

A good brass brush and a stiff pick.
Wipe cylinder pin and face each reload as well.
That’s all I have done for a number of decades, don’t remember the last cap that misfired. The last cap seats just as well as the first. Cleanliness is next to godliness, my sessions are 60+ at a time.

I usually bring a bigger spray bottle with Ballistol and water, several rags, and some jumbo qtips if I'm planning to shoot a lot. I keep a couple of those pistol caliber bore snakes and a toothbrush in the shooting box along with a can of compressed air. I can do a quick clean and be back up and running in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for all the replies. yes I need to start cleaning mid shooting session.

Back