• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hofmada15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys go about cleaning your rifles. When i clean my hawken i use a mop on a cleaning rod and force water out of the touch hole then dry it with patches my question is what should i do after that to prevent rust. Also when i take the lock off to clean it i just wipe it with a rag does anyone do anything different? just looking for suggestions to improve my cleaning regimen.

One of the things you should do is wipe the bore until a patch comes out clean. You should probably also get a scraper for the breech as there is a lot down there that a patch can just brush over. As for the lock, it might depend on the amount of shooting you did. If it wasn't much, you can probably get by without taking the lock off. Wipe it down with a black powder solvent and then wipe with an oily rag. If you can see a spot that is a nook or crevice, the black powder residue will already be there, so get in close. Maybe use an old toothbrush, or if you are mad at the wife or girlfriend, hers.
Wipe the inside of the bore with an oily patch. Before shooting the next time, run a patch soaked in alcohol down the bore to remove the oil or you may have a misfire. If your gun has a vent that is removable, take it out, clean it, and before you put it back in, use an anti-sieze compound on it so you can get it back out in the future.
Black powder is very corrosive, but if you clean well and soon after you shoot, you will never have a problem.

The Doc is out now. :hatsoff:

I would use a jag and patches instead of a swab for cleaning with plenty of water, until the patches come out clean. Then use the swab to apply a good rust preventive like Barricade or good gun oil to the bore. For the lock I use the tooth brush method and lightly oil all moving parts. Like said be sure to remove the oil from the bore prior to shooting.

With NO pretense of being HC, PC, or any other "C" other than it just works...Glass Plus sprayed on the lock after removal from the rifle is the BEST product I've ever found for easily flushing off every bit of crud, build-up, etc. Spray it down, hit it with an old toothbrush, and you'll be clean to bare metal in no time.

Wash it, with tap water, and a bit of dish soap, dry it and oil. Put away, and check it occasionally. Make it dirty at the range, or hunting, and repeat. easy as that. Avoid all the BS products that promise instant clean and better performance.. Nothing beats real black and simple soap and water.

Bill

You mentioned Hawken. If it has a hooked breech, then remove the barrel and put the breech down in a plastic bucket and pump the water up and down, while in the bucket. Dry the barrel and wipe it down with Rem-oil or something similar. I take the flint out and remove the jaw and screw, and clean with T-17 or similar black powder solvent. Spray it with Rem-oil, and wipe away all the excess.

Back