• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Problem/Dry Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm finally able to do a first cleaning on my .50 pedersoli kentucky percussion rifle. I'm using Thompson Center patches for .45 - .58 caliber rifles. Patches soaked with Hoppes black powder cleaner go down and back fine. However, when I try and use a dry patch it goes in fine but is incredibly difficult to pull back out.

I didn't think I was going to be able to get it rod back out. I sprayed rem oil down the barrel to soak the patch before it would come back out.

I want to finish this thing up, but I'm very apprehensive about putting another dry patch down the barrel.

Some suggestions would be much appreciated.

What type jag are you using? If it's a button jag they are notorious for sticking, especially if the patch is a little oversize, the patch will bunch up jamming in the bore. Try a smaller diameter patch. I cut square cleaning patches from old t-shirts and flannel. Another thing is make sure the ram rod tip is pinned so it won't pull off creating another bad situation.

I'm new to muzzle loading and I'm not sure what you mean by button jag. The jag has a shaft that tapers to the jag end. The ramrod tip is pinned.

Thanks for the info and the help, I will try cutting down the patches.

Does anyone know the correct nipple/thread size for this rifle (Pedersoli Kentucky)? There is no mention in the owners manual and I haven't found an online source that can tell me this information.

I bought a flush tube but it doesn't fit (probably should have called to make sure, ah well).

Well I found it, the cabelas site had the info and it says 1/4 x 28....which is what I ordered, but it doesn't fit. Hmmmm.....has to be incorrect?

What you may have to do is measure the threads. Take the nipple to your big box hardware store and use the thread gauges in the hardware aisle. You may find you have a metric thread in the 6mm range.

You should be able to find the nipple on the Track of the Wolf site. Hate the shipping costs though.

koauke said:
Does anyone know the correct nipple/thread size for this rifle (Pedersoli Kentucky)? There is no mention in the owners manual and I haven't found an online source that can tell me this information.

I bought a flush tube but it doesn't fit (probably should have called to make sure, ah well).

When I went to the Davide Pedersoli web site, the nipple size listed for all recent production Pedersoli products was 1/4 by 28.

Time for a trip to the hardware store or some place with thread gauges that can measure your nipple and determine what you have.

Interesting, maybe it had been sitting around in the Cabela's warehouse for a little while. Perhaps that was why the nipple was so difficult to remove.

Thanks for the help!

Remember, when you install your new nipple, use a small amount of never seize on your threads and only tighten the nipple to a snug engagement. These just don't need to be tightened like a lug nut or a head bolt.

I had the same problem with patches jammed tight in the bore. It was a monster task to finally get it out! As suggested here, I went to smaller patches and all was well.

I also managed to get a bronze bore brush stuck in the bore. That was another exercise I would like to avoid in the future. It is difficult to get the bronze wire strands to change directions in the bore. Since that aggravation, I have used nylon bore brushes. They are more difficult to find, but have worked with no problems.
Ron

My first suggestion is get a range rod to clean you gun, also to use at the range when loading, and get a bore guide to keep the rod centered in the barrel when cleaning or loading. The range rod is longer and has a handle on the end to grab onto when pulling it back out. If it is really tight when pulling it out, I turn the gun over and stand on the handle and pull up on the gun. If you don't want to get a range rod and just use your ram rod, if it has threads on both ends, then get a Thompson Center "T" handle. Screw it into the end opposite your cleaning jag. It will give you something to grab a hold of when pulling the ram rod out. DANNY

Gotta disagree. Not the patch size that is the culprit, it is the jag diameter. The jag is designed to allow the patching to bunch up behind it and clean as you drag it out. Put the jag into a chuck and while spinning, hold a file against it and reduce size a little. I've done this many times, it is just a part of making yer 'stuff' into an operating unit that is unique to yerself and yer rifle.

Be careful, brass is soft and its easy to turn a .58 jag into a .45 jag.
Try warm water instead of cleaners, and use plenty of thin drying patchs. Tow on a worm is a good dryer. WD40 can be used to swab out the bore after drying to displace water. Then a good oil or grease as a preservative. Some use wd40 for storage, I have not had good luck with it.

Rifleman_1776,

Are you sure you want to reduce the diameter of the cleaning jag, if the jag/rod are getting stuck/wedged down in the bore? Now, I may be wrong but it seems more logical that the jag's diameter is too small that allows the patch to bunch up among the jag's rings. For a 50 cal bore, Shumway/Alexander suggest a jag diameter of 0.470 inch. Also, the problem may not be with the jag diameter, but rather using a jag with a short neck and large cleaning patches. I would suggest purchasing a jag with a longer neck rather than trying to cut patches from bulk material a particular size.

George

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. I tried cutting a patch down to a 1.5 in square and that seems to work just fine.

The brass range rod I purchased from october country came in yesterday afternoon and that seems to make life much easier as well. It has a brass muzzle guide which works well but I've seen mixed thoughts about that on here as its metal on metal against the crown even if brass is softer. They have nylon guides on the pedersoli site, has anyone found a place to purchase those or does it really matter?

In thinking about a muzzle guide if using rod guide even if the rod itself is not touching the bore a brass loading jag will be wouldn't it? This is out of my own curiosity, is there really anyway around it?

Don't worry about the brass guide wearing the muzzle, it won't and the loading jag is recessed for the ball so it shouldn't touch the bore either. The reason the larger patches have a tendency to stick is the extra material behind the cleaning jag tends to bunch up too much when the rod is withdrawn.

Latest posts

Back