• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a kentucky rifle from cabelas I was wandering
if you are supose to clean this gun without removing the
barrel,and if so what is the best method is cleaning patchs
and solvent good enough or should you use a rubber hose on the nipple to pull water into the bore.Any help will be
appreciated this is my first new gun and I want to take
good care of it thanks

I never remove the barrel from a full stock rifle and seldom a half stock rifle when I clean. Using a vinyl hose over the nipple cone is a good way to clean, drawing the water in and pushing it out.

I usually use a hose, but plug the other end. Fill the bore with hot or cold water, let set a few minutes, unplug the hose and let the water trinkel out, then start running cleaning patches. Make sure you get the bore dry. Hot water is better because when filling the bore if it runs over it will evaporate pretty quick.

When I clean a flintlock I plug the vent, fill the bore with hot water, let set a few minutes, dump the water out, and start running cleaning patches.

The main thing is to make sure you get the bore dry after cleaning as well as all other parts before you oil them for storage. I like Birchwood Casey Sheath Oil for this last step. Works good in my opinion.

You may also want to wrap a rag around the lock area when flushing, as well as wrapping a rag around the muzzle area. :thumbsup:

No don't pull the barrel everytime, and there alternatives to cleaning a firearm with water. You can clean a BP rifle just like any other rifle, except it takes a few more patches, a little more time, and solvents specific to black powder.

Rat

Latest posts

Back