• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought my first "new" rifle, a NIB CVA Hunter Hawkin. I know, nothing fancy, but I've had great luck with the used cva's I've bought. Anyway, bore is black, not powder residue or anything, more like preservative, I'm assuming cosmoline or some such thing. What's the best way to clean the bore of this. I can't use anything that will ruin or discolor fiberglass. Thanks for any assistance.

Kerosene. Lacking that Acetone. Be very careful not to get it on the wood.

Liquid WD-40 (basically the same as diesel fuel) is also great at removing Cosmoline. I buy it by the gallon and use a squeeze spray bottle.

Carb cleaner/fuel injector or brake cleaner will also work. But again don't get any on the wood finish. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back