• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had been using warm water to clean my M61 Springfield, but the other reenactors in my unit use Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, and peroxide. I tried it and it works very well, I dont know if it's period correct but when the officer drops the ramrod down the barrel it goes PING now!!
Yellowhammer :grin:

I would leave the peroxide in your first aid kit, besides, it is unstable and turns to water in a very short time, anyway {it is H2O2}. I use a Murphy's and windsheild solvent mix....works great..everybody I turn on to it loves it too. I even discovered it works as a good hand cleaner in a pinch, or when at the range with no water around

What is your mix on the MOS and windshield fluid? How much of each, or is it a jug of this with a couple glugs of that? :haha:

Bill

Just a suggestion, but I would never use the peroxide again either. I ruined a Green River barrel this way. I had always used hot water and nothing else until this fad went around a few years ago. I got suckered in and started using the peroxide/alcohol/Murphy's mix. Probably my own fault. I must have been leaving some residue in the bore, and in a short time rust developed into pitting, and eventually it was ruined.

Agreed, don't use peroxide. And forget about the Murphy's too, it is not that helpfull when it comes to cleaning your musket. All you need is water, a wiper like the one used issued by the army, your combination tool and a dozen or so 2 inch square patches made of thin cotton or linnen along with a smal piece of leather about 1 inch square. Use the method clearly stated in your manual given to you by the army. To paraphrase:

1 - Place a small piece of leather on the musket's cone and lower the hammer on it making sure that it seals well.

2 - Pour water (cool water is preferred) down the barrel until the bore is full and allow it to sit for a few minutes. This will disolve all fouling in the barrel, even at the breech. Just lean it against a tree or a fence, whatever, and talk to your friends...

3 - Pour the water out. If you cock the hammer it will come out faster.

4 - Put the leather back on the cone and lower the hammer again and put more clean water back in the barrel, this time fill the barrel only half way. Put your finger over the muzzle and rock the gun back and forth allowing the water to slosh back and forth, you will hear it. Pour the water out again and notice that it is slightly less dirty than the first time. Repeat until the water comes out clean. Now that you have clean water comming out, you have clean most of the heavy fouling out and yoiu want to drain as much water as you can so lean the musket, muzzle down, against your old friend the tree or fence and let it sit for a few minutes. Protect the muzzle from getting mud or dirt jammed into it, I use a piece of firewood if possible but a grassy patch will do if that is all you have. (Don't use a rock or pavement unless you are sure that it won't slip and abrade the muzzle thereby damaging it! :shocked2: You can use your little piece of leather if that is all you have, just don't loose it, you will need it next time.)

5 - Now, take your wiper and screw it to the end of your rammer. Wrap it with tow or, lacking that, put a thin piece of natural cloth (cotton or thin linnen) over your muzzle, a two inch square piece is enough, put the wiper on it and push the cloth down the barrel to the breeck plug face, turn it clockwise about a quarter to a half turn and withdraw it, dispose of the dirty patch and replace with a clean one. Repeat with a new patch until they start coming out clean and dry and you are done cleaning the bore.

6 - Take one of your patches and LIGHTLY oil it, push it down the bore and withdraw.

7 - Use your combination tool to remove your cone and use your vent pick to clean it out then pour water out of your canteen on it and dry it well. Use you vent pick to make sure that the flame passage in the cone seat is also clean - you can screw a damp patch into it to remove any fouling there. Make sure it and the cone are dry. Then LIGHTLY oil only the threads and screw the cone back into its seat.

8 - Take a damp rag and clean the outside of your barrel taking special care around the breech, the lock face and the inside of the hammer recess, then dry with aq clean patck and (you guessed it) LIGHTLY oil everything.

9 - You're done, go eat whatever you have in your haversack and get some rest, you'll need you strength tomorrow. Oh, and don't let an overly enthusiastic numnutz "hammer" you breech face with the rammer during the inspection, you can "ring" a barrel with a one inch drop of the rammer, so don't let some farb trash your barrel. One last thing, don't forget to use a clean patch to remove the light coat of oil from your bore when next you load. I have been using this method exclusively for 20 years on original and repop muskets and have NEVER had any trouble with rust, just be sure that everything is dry. With no short cuts, this shouldn't take any longer than 15 pleasant minutes with friends. The army knew how to do things so listen to what they said. :)

I have it down to the bottles I use.I buy the bottle you can buy with the nipple on top the pulls open and then pushes shut. I pour in about a third of the bottle's contents with the MOS and then fill it with windsheild solvent. I got thinkin that the windsheild solvent here in the northeast has alcohol in it, it may not in the south. It's a nice green color when mixed. I can even tell ya that at about 40 degress F the solution becomes kinda cloudy, but I have yet to have it freeze

There are two ways to keep cleaning solutions from freezing in the field. Add more alcohol, and keep it in an inside pocket so your own body heat keeps it from freezing. Alcohol alone make a pretty fair solvent for cleaning a gun until you can get it indoors to work on it with soap and water.

Back