• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning the Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a used Traditions Kentuckey Pistol and would like to know how to remove the barrel for cleaning. I plan to shoot round ball but would like to know how the conicals shoot. Any information or suggestions about tnis pistol will be appreciated.

If the barrel is pinned as I suspect it is, you don't want to pull it out to clean. Take it out now and coat the under side with heavy wax or even bearing grease. If you don't mind the cost, buy a can of LPS #3 and heavy coat it with that. You may want to remove the barrel once a year and recoat it. To get the barrel out, if pinned, you will need a punch of suitable size to remove the pin or pins, then remove the tang screw and it should lift out. If you do this every time you clean you will wear out the pin holes and end up with a loose pin. Don't know about Traditions, but many of these imports are screwed to the wood through the thimble. Look and see. Still no need to remove more than you have to.

One note on removing a pinned barrel...

If there is more than one pin, take care to put the same pin back in the original hole it was removed from.

These pins are cut and installed, usualy one at a time, sometimes a pin is of different diameters or lengths.

Or sometime the pin may be bent (just a little) and will not work in any other hole.

Gerry, my PC is scting up as usual, If you do not get my message, write back. Write back anyway so i will know.

Back