• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Click..........click/pffffffffffffffffft!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today started out drizzly, before daylight. There was still water dripping from the trees when I got in the woods. I walked about a half mile in to get set up for my friend to push some deer for me. He did a long push toward me that took an hour or so. Finally, a deer showed itself and presented me with a straight on shot. I squeezed the trigger & click! Sparks, but no fire. :shocked2:
The doe stood there so I cocked again, closed the frizzen, aimed & squeezed again. Click, pffffffffffffffft! :cursing: She stood there for a few seconds, then moved down the hill & stopped. I wiped the pan clean, picked the vent, re-primed & raised the gun to try again. About then another deer ran down the hill and the doe ran too. :cursing: :cursing:
That's the first time I've had A misfire cost me a deer. I quess I went too long in the wet weather without changing priming powder. Lesson learned! :shake:

No cow's knee.
I was hunting in northeast PA. My first day for the late flintlock season.

ha! did that with a spike horn two years ago....only got three hammer falls! :rotf: (ever see a deer laugh?) lil bro went down near lancaster today an back,,said it was unbelieveable the number of hunters and cars parked! is ther alotta access in pa. like state land or...? good luck!!

RC said:
...said it was unbelieveable the number of hunters and cars parked!

Yea....I heard more shooting yesterday than I heard in that area during the regular rifle season! I went there expecting it to be really quite & got surprised.

Here is what I use for a lock cover. I made it from car washing shammy leather and treated it with Sno-Seal waterproofing for boots. It molds to the lock like a glove, it's quiet and will take quite a bit of rain and still keep everything dry. Try it out.

Flintlocks005.jpg

I have been there baldmtnman, it sucks! But, that is why it is challenging and fun!

Good luck next time.
Wess

It happened today to me, and I use a leather lock cover. Didn't see any deer, but wanted to empty out before lunch. Had to remove the lock and put dry powder in the touch hole.
Lots of tracks but no deer.

I had a hang fire and shot over a doe one morning in weather like you are describing on the banks of a lake. The hang fire was pretty normal for sitting out in that weather I thought. Then, I now had a fouled gun out in the same weather. I don't think there is a way short of completely cleaning my gun to get a second shot off successfully in that kind of weather. Everything on the gun was drawing moisture bad. After the second missfire, I went to the house and cleaned the gun. I can keep mine operating in the rain for the first shot. Still not sure about a second shot from a fouled gun in those conditions if the gun has to be loaded and then wait for game.

Back