• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Close by hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My neighbor ( who lives in the same housing addition) stopped by with his laptop computer. He showed me some game camera photos of the deer in our area. Some very nice bucks ( approx: 5 which are at least 8 pointers)
He has put in a small strip of turnips and 1 corn feeder approx: 100 yds west of his house. this is where he has his game camera set up at. His tree stand is there also, but overlooking the trail that they use coming into the plot and feeder.
I ordered a ground blind and I will set it up approx: 200 to 300 yds North of his tree stand.
Also will put out some corn on the ground in front of it.
Seems like the deer are leaving the bedding location ( north of my ground blind and traveling Southeast to feed on the turnips. Also are returning back to the bedding area from the South ( in front of my blind) North to the bedding area again.
Since the area is only about 100 acres in size and approx: 1/4 mile from my house, it will save on gas and time. Looks to be a very good setup for hunting since no one hunts around here.
Good luck to everyone and have a safe hunt this year.
Pics will be posted of any deer harvested.
VEARL

It's good to have a nice setup close to home. My two largest bucks, both B&C, were taken within 15 minutes walk of my back door on my own family's 30 acres. Doesn't take a lot of ground.

You have some nice deer in Oklahoma. I have a slew of Roger Raglin videos showing Oklahoma hunts. His early videos were top notch. The last 5 years though his quality fell off a cliff and I don't buy them anymore.

Good luck!

I live in Oklahoma County, which is mostly Oklahoma City city limits. They only allow archery within the city limits. so that rules out BP and CF rifles. Archery hunters are rare in this part of the county. The deer population has really grown within the last 4 to 5 years. Seems no one hunts deer in Oklahoma county. Their loss is my gain. Food wise...there is ample good quality food for them plus the right ingrediants for antler growth if you are a horn hunter. Give me a doe for the freezer anytime. Now I would take a nice buck if he came close enough to get with my bow.
Time will tell how good we do this season. Will post pics if we are able to harvest any deer.
Vearl

My best spot is a small 5 acre piece of property right down the road. When the pre-rut and rut is on theres no better place to hunt in the area within 50 miles.

I've been living on the same 60 acres since 1976 and have never seen a deer in the area. We had some hogs about 20 years ago but luckily the neighbors and I wiped them out.
I have to drive 15+ miles to hunt where deer are.

My range is now about 140 yards long, let a lot of it grow up when I stopped shooting centerfire rifles. It is less than 20' from my shop door to shooting bench. It is less than 100 yards to the back porch. Yesterday afternoon I was testing a revolver. Between shooting groups a doe and fawn walked out at about 85 yards and ate grass. I watched them for 10 minutes until they moved on. The little one will make some good eating someday. It is nice to be able to shoot one from your back porch.

Plant a long strip of turnips next year. that will help to bring them in.
I never would have known the deer where in my area, until neighbor put up a game camera.
A little food on the ground helps also. We use corn in the feeders and just poured out onto the ground. :thumbsup:

I kept corn, sunflower seeds, salt and mineral blocks around the shop for years. Helped to keep the deer out of mother's roses. There were more deer in this area up until a few years back. Someone killed a huge number of them and just let them rot where they fell. Was told a farmer that was tired of them in his crops had them shot. They are beginning to come back in numbers now. I don't put out anything this time of year but do after hunting season before things green up in spring. They love sunflower seeds and will do a number on them if you plant some. They also love cheap peanut butter.

Update.....
The same neighbor spent the evening in his stand. Just before dusk, he nailed the eleven point buck at a little over twenty yards.
Not bad for first day of archery season. :thumbsup:

I walk behind my house into Shawnee National Forest and hunt about a 1000sq acre section. That's about my limit as to how far I can walk and pack deer out.

I have it pretty much to myself..haven't seen but one other person in there in over 6yrs. and that was once.

The National Forest goes for about 60 more miles so there's plenty of land for everyone..especially since there's no big towns in this area and most people hunt their own land.

Latest posts

Back