• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO ELK DRAWING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too! Cow and doe in the same general units. Still waiting on antelope. Actually, I'm a shoe in for antelope with one point in the area I applied. Not ml season but it's good country for ml hunting antelope. Lotsa sneaks possible. :)

Got both deer and elk. Now the daily shooting will really increase. Please, don't send any sympathy cards. This year will be 12.5 mile horse ride into camp at 10,000 feet elevation. Scouting will begin soon. Ever notice how work interferes with goofing off? I'd set up camp now and stay all summer if I could.

Six more days before we find out the results for New Mexico. You guys aren't making this any easier :blah: . Bill

You and me both! :haha: Wanted to hit the scout this weekend but may not be able to. Am hunting a part of u-18 I've barely visited before so, must do a lot of scouting. :)

Daily shooting! :shocked2: Wish I could do that!

I hunted 18 a couple of years ago, and in spite of a lot of dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, there were plenty of elk. During the muzzleloading season the elk travel downhill toward Willow Creek, and start climbing uphill a half hour before first light. It is a good idea to get into position in the dark, and wait for them.

I hunted that part of 18 a few years back and found the same thing. This time we wanna get away from the atv trails so we're going to hunt the west side of 18. Ever been in there?

Negative on the west end. I hunted east of road 125, directly west of the road looks steep, dense and nasty, just perfect for elk to be hiding. I have thought it to be good for hunting primitively because of the tough access. US 40 has a few access points, but I have never explored them. Good luck with your hunt, cook your elk steaks rare. Shot as often as you can.

Marmotslayer: if you get one down, just hollar real loud and we'll come up and help you eat it! We'll be just south of you near Fraser!

Now i know where all the elk tags went. Didn't draw elk or deer, but did get a pronghorn tag. Has anyone hunted around Apishapa?

Has anyone hunted around Apishapa?

I was in Walsenburg on bus a few years back and had some extra time so decided to take a look at Apishapa. The stone matrix on the road in was horrendous and very quickly sliced one of my tires. Was not about to go all the way without a spare so it was turn around time. :(

So, that's my Apishapa story! :haha:

There are goats down there so if you drew the unit you should be able to bring home the meat.

Marmotslayer, we'll be between Vasquez and St Louis creek. Walked up to Vasquez last fall and tracked a cougar in the snow. That made my whole trip!

Good luck up there. Should be good country. Tracking a cougar is exciting. It's even more exciting when you double back on your own trail in fresh snow and find that one has been tracking you. :shocked2: It seemed to be more curious than malevolent.

Latest posts

Back