• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coffee ground patina

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcasmn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Cold Steel Pipehawk. I stripped off the black paint and did some amateur file work. Would letting it sit in a bag of wet coffee grounds give it a patina? Should the bag be sealed?

wrap a rag soaked in bleach around the hawk head..keep a close eye on it cause it works real fast..leave it on too long and itll eat holes in the metal...ive used mustard, vinegar and a slew of other stuff..bleach wors the best..once you get the effect you want make sure you wash it real good with soap and water to de-activate the bleach.

I don't know about coffee grounds, but navel jelly should do fine it gives a nice grey patina. :thumbsup:

I don't think coffee grounds will do what you want ... go with the Naval Jelly ...

one guy's advice - free and no doubt well worth the price!

If it were me, I'd apply a coat of cold blue and then apply some Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution to give it the patina that you want. Just keep applying coats of LMF browning untilyou have the patina that you want. The cold bluing base seems to give it a bit more of an antique appearance. If you want to make it look like Damascus steel, after the cold bluing, wrap the pipehawk in cotton cord (the kind that is made of smaller twisted cords like rope) that is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter and then wet the cord with vinegar. Wrap it in plastic and keep the cord wet for a day or so. Putting it in the sun also helps but you have to make sure that it receives an even exposure to the sun to keep the etching even. Remove the cord, wash the pipehawk thoroughly and then apply the browning. You don't want a heavy brown so only a couple or three coats will do. Once it looks right to you, neutralize the browning solution according to the instructions and buff it with four ought steel wool and oil.

Back