• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado wild fires

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Wonder how the upcoming hunting season will be in Colorado this year. The forest fires have taken a lot of hunting areas out of the possibility of being hunted.
Think I will cancel any thoughts about hunting there for awhile.

I wouldn't worry about it.Where were you planning to hunt? The big Black Forest fire was East of I-25, where there are very few elk compared to the West slope.I live in NW Colorado and have hunted there for 35 years or so, through wet hunting seasons and dry ones. One dry year a lightning caused fire started 1/4 mile from our hunting camp. The forest service did make us move camp for safety, but we were never in any danger. It was an inconvenience, but we still had plenty of other places to hunt as NW Colorado is mostly national forest and other federal lands open to hunting.
Last year was a very dry year too. Didn't have any fires anywhere near us though. Burn areas from the fire near camp, and several others nearby just opened up more forest for grass to grow, which equals more food for wildlife. My bigger concern now is how difficult it is to get through the woods now that all the beetle killed pines are starting to fall. We spend a day with a chainsaw each summer knocking them down near camp so we don't get any surprises on windy days.

Yep western slope has too hunting seasons :blah: , too wet to keep dry, too cold to keep warm. Too much snow. Too little snow. Too dry. Too hot. Too windy. Just the too seasons.

Currently there are three major fires burning in Colorado, all are in Southern Colorado, East Fork, West Fork complex and East Peak. The West Fork complex is the tough one, the rest are mostly contained, I wouldn't change my plans, just don't bring any 30 round mags for your Hawkins....... :wink:

Back