• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

compressing BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_pepou

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
I have made my own black powder since where I live its hard to obtain and very expensive. I did so with spruce charcoal and salpetre from a local abandonned farmhouse. I did not add sulfur for safety reasons and because it is not available where I live.
It works very well for a first try, the only unexpected thing about the powders behaviour is the fact it looses a LOT of volume when tamped in the chamber. Its very light so filling the whole chamber (colt 1851 cal.36) does not even equal to 1 gram of powder. Are you suppo sed to compress it before granulation? and if yes what methods do you use?
thanks in advance!

All due respect. You need to read some more. There is a Forum that has an extensive thread on making BP and Crimson powder. I have not found information on making black powder on this Forum. I also haven’t looked here, so maybe that’s why.
If you PM me I can give directions to the forum.

Back