• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals or PRB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to use maxihunters with limited success. I kept my distances to 50 yards with a tc hawken. Which do you prefer out of a 1/48 twist? Its been over a decade since i used a PRB.

At 50 yards, PRB should be more than adequate in a 50 or 54.

45 would be on the light side for elk or something that could hurt you.

Out of the 1:48 twist, even though it can shoot both, I still like the patched roundball .....

Either and both.
I'd get some conicals in the 350-450gr department as well as some .490 Ball, .018 pillow ticking patches (you lube these with bore butter) and some Ox-Yoke Wonder wads and work up effective loads for both. Use the wads with both.

Conical's will give you more down range power out to about 125 yards or so with the right worked up load.

PRB's will work fine out to 100 yards for deer.

:thumbsup:

Patched roundball, although it depends on the conical. Some 1-in-48s are very good at stabilizing conicals.

My TC Hawken works real good with REAL 320 grain bullets.

I have a T/C Renegade, in both .50 & .54 cal, with 1:48" twist barrels. Both shoot patched roundballs very well, with the right load. They also both shoot REAL conicals very well. I also have a Rengade and Hawkens rifles with 1:70" twist barrels, which also have deeper rifling than T/C's 1:48" barrels, and they are most definitely better ball shooters, especially with higher powder charges.

I have two T/C Renegades, 1:48 twist, both flintlocks. One cost me $75 and the other was free. I usually keep my distances to 50 yards also. Haven't shot anything out of 'em but PRBs. On deer size game they work fine for me.

Latest posts

Back