• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contemporary LR build pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen;

I've clicked on through the usual places like Track's and other folks' guns for sale for quite some time. I think I've got a good feel for what a $1000 gun, $2000 gun, and a $5000 gun looks like. Even up to a $25,000 gun like made and sold by Bobby Denton. I know that they some times sell for $50,000, and even $100,000. Does anyone have any good links showing what those even higher priced contemporary guns would look like? I know a lot of it is in the "name" of the builder, but names get established by the quality of the work that got them there.

I guess the reasoning behind the question comes partly from curiosity, and partly from frugality. A lot of us would like to HAVE a $50,000 gun, but we don't want to PAY $50,000 (in cash) to have one. But, we're interested in acquiring the skills and / or devoting the time it takes to create one. Hope that makes some sense.

Check out Jerry Huddleston’s work. Back in the day Monte Mandarino made spectacular guns in the European fashion. I’m blanking on the name of the builder up in Alaska whose Work goes in the 30’s pretty often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich Pierce said:
Check out Jerry Huddleston’s work. Back in the day Monte Mandarino made spectacular guns in the European fashion. I’m blanking on the name of the builder up in Alaska whose Work goes in the 30’s pretty often.

Rich I think your talking bout Jud Brennen

There is a gun on my website that sold for over $100,000.00 there are three guns on my web site that sold for 20,000.00 or more. One would have to be a master engraver to make firearms in this category.
I am not permitted to post my website on this forum Although others can. Just google Jerry Huddleston engraver for my web site.

By the way, It takes 3 to five years to build a $100,000.00 gun and the government gets about 47% of it one way or another.

The Gentleman I learned from used to make some beautiful rifles. A lot of the cost is also in the components. Custom Barrel, $$ Custom Breach $$ hand made custom Lock $$ etc..

He showed me a piece of burled European walnut that he was going to build a 4 bore out of for a guy to take to Africa. Just the stock was $10K !! It was almost 100 years old! I told him I would be afraid to cut into it.
After he built the gun,it was sent off to be silver inlayed and elaborately engraved by two other masters.

I wish I had a picture to share, but let me tell you it was amazing!!!

This is truly amazing and inspiring work, (your work of course, but many of the others as well) which is of course very motivational, and something to aspire to, rather than just covet.

People that turn out very high quality work didn't start out that way. The started the same way as everyone else, with a coloring book and crayons. It's through patience, hard work, and being their own worst critics that they got where they did, and turn out what they do. Thank you.

Back