• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conversions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner2292

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My dad has a lyman trade rifle with a percussion lock. He wants to change it to a flintlock. Is there anyone who makes the replacement lock? I looked at L&R and the have replacement for the great plains. Do they have the same lock as the trade rifle?
Thanks, Gunner

The Trade Rifle lock is the same as the Great Plains. However, the cap lock and flint lock are not interchangeable.
HD

gunner2292 said:
Why wouldnt they be interchangeable?

Because the flint and the cap locks are shaped differently. It would require some wood work to be done on the stock.

HD

I had one that had interchangeable locks. It was originally a flinter and someone got a drum and nipple and a lock for it. I called Lyman and they said all you need to convert is a barrel and lock, so i assumed the lock plates are the same. :hmm:

It will work. You will have to inlet some for the traditional mainspring being bigger than the coil spring in the Lyman lock you have now. I made a Frankenstein Monster Lyman out of a Stainless Steel Percussion Deer Stalker Stock and furniture, Trade Rifle Flint Barrel, and an L&R Replacement lock. I Refinished the Stock and finished all the steel in the white. It took some work to make it all fit together, but it wasn't rocket science.

2007_1220Flinter0003.jpg

2007_1220Flinter0004.jpg

Just remember when your done the vent must be in the correct place in the pan !!!!!!!! Uncrichie.

Back