• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

COOKIN IRONS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I have talked the better half into buying cast iron cook ware for the house :thumbsup:

What should I look for?

Need your help here as I don't want to buy iron that I will be dissapointed in.

Thanks

Cheap often works just just as good. Look carefully for cracks in the metal. I bought an entire set of cast iron pots for like $20 at the Williamsburg pottery. Several had visible cracks that opened up in time. The ones without the cracks are still in service. If I had taken the time to look and sort through them, they all would probably still be in service.

By the way, legs work great on Dutch ovens if you use them outside only.
I would stay away from dutch oven with handles like skillets and I would Stay away from skillets with legs.

Regards

I get my stuff at thrift stores. I don't think I've more than $5 for anything from a 12-inch pan to a griddle. I've even got an abelskiver pan.

MMMMM,Abelskivers....good Danish cookin' that.Got one of those myself.My brother has two of them but he has the bigger family.I have a copper one one the wall that my Dad got in Danmark.

I would start looking at garage sales, thrift stores and so on...
I bought a couple of fry pans and have a couple of griddles that are used daily... a nice dutch oven would be a good addition as well..maybe two... just be aware that cast iron has a way of multiplying when yur not lookin. There is a disease called castironitis and there doesnt seem to be a cure :haha: :winking:

Outdoor cast iron Dutch ovens need legs and a rim around the lid to keep coals from sliding off.

Indoors the legs are a pain, but you can use them in a pinch. If your wife wants to use the DO indoors a lot she will be really disapointed if you get a legged version. All of my DO's have legs but they are used outdoors 95% of the time.

You can share fry pans with your wife easily.

Try Cabela's, they have a whole slew of them,not cheap but not expensive either.I've got their 12 in. skillet with lid,and I cook bake and stew with it. In the oven or on the stove.They have cast iron cook ware you can use for camping or the home.Also a couple of books on using it.START SMALL until you know if you like it,they do weigh a ton and it becomes a CHORE if you HAVE to cook with it.Good luck :v

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Lodge makes decent cast iron, at a fairly reasonable price. I've never heard anyone complain about it after they've purchased it. That being said, I got my cast iron skillets at the flea market for a couple of bucks. Just make sure you burn them out, scrub them down, and re-season them before you use cast you don't know the history of :winking:

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: Camp Chef seems to make pretty good CI stuff too. It can be purchased for a fairly reasonable price from Sportsman Wareshouse if you have them in your area. It is a little cheaper than Lodge.

Later,
CW Grizz

Blackfoot,
I'm with Greycat on this one. I have
used Lodge without any problems nor have I heard
of any serious complaints about it.
The yard and garage sales are indeed
a good source. Don't be to concerned about
appearence outside of checking for cracks, which
in my experience usually shows up on the bottom,
outside surface.
E-Bay is another source but the
shipping could offset any savings.IMO
Good luck in your search
snake-eyes :hmm:

Antique Shops sell old Griswold and Wagner cast ware, they are the best......I was suprized that the prices are about the same as New Lodge.

Why Griswold or Wagner......better finish, smoother grain, = easier clean-up :grin: .......second choice is Lodge......nice casings, just a little rougher finish.

When you buy fry pans, get the lids.....and buy the dutch ovens with the Outdoor lid.....the one that will hold charcoal.....[indoor and our door use.]

And also look at e-bay, the shipping is a killer.

You can get lodge pans at Wally world for 10 bucks here, I would recoment starting cheep and see just how much you will use them.

Back