• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cotton Gloves For Handling Originals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read that white cotton gloves are a must for handling antique firearms. Are they really necessary? I have seen museums use them on weapons that are little just over 100 years old, but I think it is just to look professional. My hands get pretty sweaty when handling my 244 year old flintlock, but how much can oils from our skin damage a weapon?

The oils and moisture in our hands contain both salts and acids that can leave marks on metal and wood surfaces over time. You never want to make changes in an antique because it lessens its value as both an investment and as a museum display. These acids and salts will have a negative effect on antique paper and fabrics, too. Over all, it is just best to handle antiques with gloves to protect them from the harmful salts and acids in your skin.

I worked in a museum for awhile and the only time we used white gloves was when we were in view of the public. White gloves attract dirt faster than you can blink, what you should really use is nitrile disposable gloves, they are cheap and you can change them fast when needed. Using cotton glove transfer dirt from one object to another, which when handling artifacts is not good. When handling my orginals at home I simple wipe them down with a coat of light wax.

Michael

Do a search on the internet for "poison fingerprints."

I never touch the metal on my origials or other people's guns of any kind that I don't have to, being careful only to handle wood as able, and I wipe them down with a silicone guncloth as soon as I can after touching metal. I clean all my arms wearing nitrile gloves for their sake and mine.

Heck, I wear gloves shooting Trap to keep my nicer guns safe from my sweaty little hands...

"Heck, I wear gloves shooting Trap to keep my nicer guns safe from my sweaty little hands... "

I read that a couple of times. :hmm: I don't know why but the psychological term "anal" keeps coming to mind. Why do you suppose that is? :rotf:

A friend has a pretty extensive collection built up over many years. A lot of 1911's and various service revolvers. He ALWAYS uses gloves when handling them. Personally, I don't own museum pieces. I do wipe them down with a RIG rag and a little Sheath. Between the two, I don't have to be quite so concerned about sweat and finger prints. I have seen prints in some otherwise nice and expensive guns. Once they're in, they are pretty much there to stay. If a fellow wants to wear gloves while shooting, more power to him, especially if he has damp hands like some folks do.

On a treck in april one year it got warm and I got sweaty. The wax on my wrist reacted with the the temp and wet palms to produce a waxy black mess at the wrist. Toke longer to clean that then the rest of the gun. Gloves sure dont hurt when handleing somthing we cant replace.

Another thing to consider with cotton gloves is that they take away the hands natural "grip" factor. I have enough trouble with the dropsies without gloves on! With original Kentucky rifles I own, I handle them bare handed and wipe down with a soft oil cloth. If you think about it, a natural patina is merely the accumulation of build up from years and years of handling.

Cotton gloves are also 'slippery', meaning you can't get a good grip on the gun. When I was much poorer, I used brown cotton work gloves in the Winter and always had a hard time holding the gun securely.

You sure don't want to drop someone's heirloom. :shake:

I'll second the use of nitrile gloves. This is if we are talking about handling expensive, museum quality type arms. The cotton actually has a weave or pattern that can get transferred to a firearm and- as stated- cotton can pick up, hold, and transfer grim, oils, etc.
Hold your breath- don't breathe on those firearms :grin:

Using cotton glove transfer dirt from one object to another, which when handling artifacts is not good.

Can't you just wash the cotton gloves once they start attracting dirt?

Patocazador said:
You sure don't want to drop someone's heirloom. :shake:

Dude, I SO had a dream, nightmare, about that last night.

Guy had a semi-auto shaped like a Winchester 1887 Lever Action shotgun. When I took it from him I sorta just scraped the muzzle on the ground and got paint on the crown. Neither of us said anything but he was ****** and I felt so bad.

It was just a dream but I slept poorly going over it again and again and it woke me early...

Cotton gloves ARE "slippery."

Yeah, I always wear gloves shooting competitive Trap I think mostly to protect the gun (or warmth in Winter League).

Billnpatti said:
"Heck, I wear gloves shooting Trap to keep my nicer guns safe from my sweaty little hands... "

I read that a couple of times. :hmm: I don't know why but the psychological term "anal" keeps coming to mind. Why do you suppose that is? :rotf:

Whatever floats your and Patti's boat...

:redface:

Yes, however when we did they looked like they were still dirty and when reused attracted dirt faster. I also think they transfer the dirt to other objects. I use only nitrile glove now, I buy them by the box of 100 and change them often when handling my muzzleloaders for cleaning.

Michael

Aren't we talking about handling specimens? Cotton gloves would certainly not be my choice for general use unless I'm raking leaves. And, if a gun is clean to start with, how dirty is a new glove? There may be better things nowadays, but I don't think a cotton glove is obsolete for most collectors. And, if you are using an original, well, there's no need for cotton gloves. You are using it, not preserving it as a museum would.

I agree with RedFeather, I have used my 150+ year original for 45 years both for hunting and at the range. This rifle was made to be shot. Personally I enjoy being able to share it with other gun lovers. Much better than hanging on a wall or in a glass case.

Well it's a personal decision. Obviously on a priceless antique, handling it with bare hands can leave finger prints that can turn into rust spots, etc. Cotton is better than bare hands but if you are given a choice I think the nitrile type gloves are preferred. That's for handling collectibles, not shooting at the range.

Latest posts

Back