• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Could have been deadly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
10 years ago I bought a 54 cal t/c renegade. I didn't like the compromize on the barrel so I ordered a green mountain 1/66 and it was great. I went modern for two years {big mistake } and came across a left handed Lymans for a steal and sold my t/c and the two barrels to a best friend of mine.He came over a week ago and shot his new purchase with the green mountain barrel.He came over the next week and had the standard renegade barrel to try and went to snap a cap off and it went Ca-Boom. That renegade barrel had a full charge in it from the last time I went hunting two years previous. Some how I had not emptied it after the hunt.We laughed about it later but it could have been deadly. :nono:
Bob

Simple axiom "All guns are allways Loaded"!The weapon is treated as loaded until the handler has determined it is not! :winking:

I appreciate your candor in telling it like it happened...and it is for that reason I refuse to leave a loaded ML in the house.

It only takes me 30 seconds to pull a ball & charge, wipe the bore and take the rifle inside to warm up for the night.

We are all imperfect humans and #%$& happens.

Thanks for posting...
:thumbsup:

Yes indeed , accidents do happen . That's why the #1 rule of firearms safety is , ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction . It seems that SOME of the people who handle firearms on a regular basis are the ones who most often forget this rule .

patch knife said:
".....people who handle firearms on a regular basis are the ones who most often forget this rule....."
Exactly...we lose our 'fear' or 'hightened sense of caution' and sometime forget...my deal is:
"if it ain't loaded it can't go off".

The question in my mind is whether the best friend had enough experience/knowledge to have known better? If so, shame on him. If not......

you sure do have a lot of courage to post this, and I do thank you, lets everyone know how accidents can happen. Allthough, if you were my son and did something like this we would be taking a trip to the wood shed. flinch

Well, I expect you both need a switching.
You, for leaving it loaded.
Him, for not checking.
Hope ya both learned something.

Well I wasn't taught that! If I inspected a firearm, and proved to myself it was unloaded, then it remained so as long as I had it in my hands. When it was out of my control, no matter how briefly, it got loaded somehow, until I proved it wasn't, through inspection.
All of my inadvertant discharges have come while trying to load the firearm. Hence, my handle. :(

Back