• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple of weeks of hunting...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Two weeks vacation - 14 days minus 2 Sundays as we have no Sunday hunting = 12 days possible, minus 2 down days left 10 days to hunt.

In all, I let 6 does pass until after the rut is over...had 8 bucks come by including a button, a spike, forkies, a small 8, a medium 8 which I took last week in the rain, and two very big 8-10's which I couldn't get a good shot at.

Anybody who saw the national weather saw the jet stream dropped way down into the deep southern states all this week letting the cold canadian air blast down in here, blowing 15-25 mph out of the NW all week with temps in the 20's, wind chill in the teens.

The NW flow really messed me up on the two woodlots I have permission to hunt...my blinds are set up overlooking trail crossings based upon prevailing winds from the south and east, not the north and west. As a result I could only hunt one spot 3 times as the wind was most always wrong, and had to use the other spot 7 times which is really too often day after day when you're hunting close...and at that I had to set up and use a makeshift blind to try to deal with the shift in wind direction.

Anyhow, managed to get a Flintlock buck, saw a hawk dive in and just barely miss a squirrel last week, saw turkey a half dozen different days...and just today had a beautiful gray fox came gliding through about 25yds from my blind in the middle of the afternoon...I made a squeaking noise, he stopped and looked in my direction, then continued on his way...I know they raid turkey nests but he was a beautiful animal just the same.

Lucky to have had the opportunities, the places, and the resources to enjoy this time of year in the woods like this...hope to get out some more over Thanksgiving.

PS: This jet stream has to go !!
:grin:

bucktales said:
roundball said:
Ain't that the truth! :surrender:
I was always told it's a "good" thing to share with friends..... :grin: Most unusually freezing cold and snowing up here at the present time.... :shake:

Halftail said:
bucktales said:
roundball said:
Ain't that the truth! :surrender:
I was always told it's a "good" thing to share with friends..... :grin: Most unusually freezing cold and snowing up here at the present time.... :shake:

OK.....you've shared enough! :nono:
I'm getting tired of waking up to low single digit temps in the morning.
You can have it back now! :haha:

Hmm. I thought all muzzleloader hunters were of stronger stuff? What is all this complaining of the cold? I can't believe it?

Although not muzzleloading,season ain't here yet, I was out hunting in near zero windchills and didn't mind it one bit. In fact. I relished it. :thumbsup:

One good thing is that you can hang up a deer and not worry about it going bad.

Sure would be neat if we could take turkeys down here with our flinters in the fall...Every time I have them come by I am oh so tempted... :grin:

Glad you were able to get out for a couple of weeks and relax...Happy Thanksgiving!!!

bigbore442001 said:
Hmm. I thought all muzzleloader hunters were of stronger stuff? What is all this complaining of the cold? I can't believe it?

Although not muzzleloading,season ain't here yet, I was out hunting in near zero windchills and didn't mind it one bit. In fact. I relished it. :thumbsup:

One good thing is that you can hang up a deer and not worry about it going bad.

Oh, I've still been out there every day. It's just that it's more enjoyable when your fingers don't hurt from the cold. :v
Another thing.....the temps only have to be 40* F or cooler to hang a deer. You don't want it to be frozen solid when you're trying to butcher it! :nono:

bigbore442001 said:
Hmm. I thought all muzzleloader hunters were of stronger stuff?

We are...and we're smart too! I moved out of that NY/Canadian border cold in 1963...never lived north of the mason dixon line since :grin: so "ya'll" just keep that jet stream right up there where it blongs :grin:

We get 60+ days for gun season to hunt and you can hunt on Sunday's.

I normally just sit until after Christmas and then take a deer.

Sometimes we forget here how fortunate we are to have so much time in the woods.

RDE

Ours is fairly long as well...runs til January 1st...just summarizing my 'Rut Vacation' I take every year...the fall colors and everything is just beautiful here then

ROUNDBALL

I loaded her up on Tuesday last.....after a day on the range....got all the shots in the palm of my hand.....

Well I've hunted all day in the rain today.....never changed the prime....just shielded the lock with my coat and the top of my hand....this is going on 7 days....I am going again in the morning...

I just want to see if my craft is up to snuff.

If she goes off.....I am glad...if she don't I'm repriming.....

The one thing I've learned....you just can't hunt a gun....and not get handling marks on it....hate it .....I love my new Renegade....she is over thirty years old......never hunted never handled....I had to think about it long and hard....dried her off with a shammy and left her in the shed....

In the morning....I'll wait for her to speak....

Not a bad life for she or a bad life for me!

Good Hunting My Brothers and Sisters. :hatsoff:

Back