• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow horn sources - Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldcraftsman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the Forum. Need help finding sources for cow horns. My supply is running low. Any good sources, either in bulk or small quantities, is appreciated.
Thanks,Gary

October Country has a bunch.....good service and they ship fast........powder horns and more is very good also

I'm glad you got some real responses. It was SO tempting to say that the best source for cow horns is cows. :wink:
But I restrained myself. :grin:

Powder horns and more is excellent for quality and service. Used them many times. Haven't tried TOW. I always thought they got them for PH&M. My local area slaughterhouse doesn't currently have much available at the present.

You didn't say what you plan to do with them. If you're after nice powder horns they probably ain't what you're looking for, but TOW sells "ugly horns" for cheap. I bought several for $2.50 each a while back. They all have issues. Most could be made into functional powder horns, a few maybe not. Good for other stuff tho.

Hey there Eagle Eye.....Get onto Ebay and look up cowhorns. There's usually quite a few listed. Sometimes you'll find buffalo horns listed too and at pretty decent prices. Good luck!

Weeping Wolf said:
Hey there Eagle Eye.....Get onto Ebay and look up cowhorns. There's usually quite a few listed. Sometimes you'll find buffalo horns listed too and at pretty decent prices. Good luck!

TOW buys most of their horns from Powderhornsand more. Good cow horns are starting to turn into gold it seems! Ebay auctions go crazy with bidders paying crazy inflated price's for your better scrimshaw quality cow horns. One...Just one raw horn from PH and more sold a short time back on Ebay for $117.00 and $30-$90 raw horns are common for the better horns. :cursing:

I have bought some real nice horns from Tandy's leather. Already cleaned up and ready to go.

Joe

Joe Yanta said:
I have bought some real nice horns from Tandy's leather. Already cleaned up and ready to go.

Joe

Better hurry to Tandy!....Got a newsletter a month or so ago and it said that they where going to quit selling cow horns! ... Guess when their gone, their gone!

Rick

[/quote]
TOW buys most of their horns from Powderhornsand more. Good cow horns are starting to turn into gold it seems! Ebay auctions go crazy with bidders paying crazy inflated price's for your better scrimshaw quality cow horns. One...Just one raw horn from PH and more sold a short time back on Ebay for $117.00 and $30-$90 raw horns are common for the better horns. :cursing:
[/quote]

They were getting those inflated prices but I haven't seen them posting much on there as of the last couple of weeks

Yes, yur right!! Finding a good size scrimshaw grade horn is getting downright scary. Prices keep going up, like gasoline. Believe me, I have bid high on some that met my criteria, but not near those high prices. I have to believe some of the high costs are do to people that may be new to horn making as some of the high prices seem whacky. What I don't see often enough are the scrim type horns with generous base diameters of 2 3/4 inch and up.

Supply and demand IS the main reasons for higher pricing of quality raw horns. The American Cattle Breeders Assn. encourages live stock breeders to de-horn cattle early and breed hornless cows, due to injury in transportation and crowded feedlot conditions. There are some horned American bred cattle still around, but getting scarcer yearly. Those rare horns that have a base of 3 inches plus always bring a higher price and more than likely will get even higher in the future. Just a fact of life, for us who want them!

I have probably 35-40 light to white scrimshaw or near scrimshaw grades of raw horns now in the shop bin with only 7 with a base diameter of 3 inches or more, so I am OK for awhile!

Rick

People need to remember that horns were used to store lots of commodities beside powder. The Late Tom Verhoeven, who lived near Danville, Illinois, had a very fine collection of horns in his log cabin home, but showed me that many of the larger horns carried corn, corn meal, and "shortening " or "lard". rather than powder. He took the plug out of one of his large, long horns to show me the residue of lard in the one, and a second to show me, and let me smell, the residue of corn meal.

While there is no doubt that some POWDER horns where HUGE, and long, and designed to carry a couple of pounds of powder, these were generally carried on pack animals, and not over the shoulder.

Several of my gunclub friends acquired very large horns, and were carrying them and using them at the range. Then, we dressed up in our " skins", and walked in a town parade. By the end of the mile and a half walk, the guys with those huge horns were putting them in one of the trucks we had pulling a cannon.

I have an original horn that dates from the last 1790s, to early 1800s, according to my expert horner( Bruce Horne.) He restored it, and repaired damage and a bad repair that dated back to the early 1900s.

Some of the end of the horn had been cut off, so I don't know its original length, or how wide the open end was before it was cut. All we know is that there is original "Primitive" scrimshaw work that is cut through where the horn ends and the plug begins. But, the length is under 12 inches, and the horn carries less than a full pound of powder. The diameter of the plug is about 1 3/4 inches.

The thinness of the horn at the opening suggests that not much( possibly less than an inch) of the horn was cut off, however.

If you want a lot of surface to scrimshaw, think about using a smaller, flat horn, rather than a " Grain Horn", as Mr. Verhoeven called them.

Oh, his large grain horns were clearly made from long horns you would find only on "Long Horn " cattle today. One had an end diameter in excess of 4 inches, and had to be almost 30 inches long. The pointed end was NOT cut off, nor was any attempt to drill a hole made to allow contents to pour out that end . It could only have been a storage horn. The plug, even after all those years, was still a very tight seal. Tom said his research indicated that these big horns were carried in wagons, or tied to the sides of wagons, of immigrants moving West, and then into the Southwest.

Just some thoughts. Paul

horner75 said:
I have probably 35-40 light to white scrimshaw or near scrimshaw grades of raw horns now in the shop bin with only 7 with a base diameter of 3 inches or more, so I am OK for awhile!

Rick

Rick, gee, you wouldn't want to get rid of a couple would you? May I ask where you get your supply from?

If you are going to buy off Ebay be wary! Talk to someone and see what kind of horns they were gatting for there money.
The one site I bought from was getting there horns from out of country. The US requires that all horns be cleaned to try to rid mad cow disease from getting into this country.
The one I bought in hopes of doing schrimshaw on had been cleaned by a mad man with a hand grinder. It was gouged so badly that to get all the gouges out would have meant making it too thin. While it made a nice horn it would not clean up the schrimshaw quality I had hoped for and not been too thin.

Talk to a Scottish Highland breeder (I just started myself). We are encouraged to leave the horns on for protection and the breed standard. Just a thought hope it helps.

eagleyeusa48 said:
horner75 said:

Rick

Rick, gee, you wouldn't want to get rid of a couple would you? May I ask where you get your supply from?

Sorry, I will use all of them for my powder horns eventually.

You might try Moscow Hide and Fur Company or Boone Trading Company. I've bought raw horns from them in the past. Also, bought over Ebay and Powderhornsandmore.

Latest posts

Back