• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cracked stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of re-doing a T/C Hawken "basket case".
Just finished the stocked with about 20 coats of finish. I assembled the rifle to admire my work when I noticed a small hairline crack in the stock.
The crack is about an inch long opposite the nipple area. It is on the side of the stock just off the "flats" where the tang fits. I don't know if this area was stressed when the tang was screwed in.
Can I just undercut the tang area and glass bed it, and open up the crack on the inside of the stock and glass bed it also?
I don't want anything to fly apart when I shoot it.
Thanks

Sounds like the exact same spot I have a hairline crack in my T/C Hawken. Apparently these stocks are famous for these cracks. Several folks on here have sent them back to T/C and received free replacements.

Personally I'm not worried about it. I've shot mine a lot and there is no visible change in it. Besides, I like the grain on my stock and don't want it replaced with something less attractive.

If I were you I'd just leave it as is unless you are really afraid it will come apart on you.

HD

Back