• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Critics.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is similar to the thread above.

What peeves do you have about things at forts, rendezvous, etc.?

Mine would be all the Hawken rifles, the blue speckleware, non-correct cast iron, ribbon shirts and the yard sale-style items folks try to sell.

There's enough proof out there, and has been for awhile, for folks to do the research on their camp and impression. Why spend money on all that stuff when you can get the correct items at almost the same price? I say if they are gonna do it, it should be done right. Makes me glad there is a good group like this one.

Pare-

So you are the one that has been counting threads?? :hmm:

::

Folks should try to attian as much correct gear as they can if they are going to participate. Perhaps if clearer rules and requirements were published pertaining to the event?

I've been to a couple of get togethers with a simply lame experience. "just bring your caplock" was the phrase. Everyone is welcome! Yea right, welcome to the stitch counting party!
:winking:

First time I did take my T/C Hawken and then had the pleasure of listening to a bunch of manure about getting a "real" rifle. After shooting just as well any of the folks and better than many, they did become more quiet.

I left that day talking to one of the higher ups and said "if you have a particular rifle requirement, then you should state so". His reply was that some folks just like to "rib the new guy and/or manufactured rifles". Well, I don't care to sponsor the opportunity for bozo prima-donna's to give me such BS, so I have only been to two events and likely will not return to one. If folks are going to do the "bait and switch".

So you are the one that has been counting threads?? :hmm:

::

Folks should try to attian as much correct gear as they can if they are going to participate. Perhaps if clearer rules and requirements were published pertaining to the event?

I've been to a couple of get togethers with a simply lame experience. "just bring your caplock" was the phrase. Everyone is welcome! Yea right, welcome to the stitch counting party!
:winking:

First time I did take my T/C Hawken and then had the pleasure of listening to a bunch of manure about getting a "real" rifle. After shooting just as well any of the folks and better than many, they did become more quiet.

I left that day talking to one of the higher ups and said "if you have a particular rifle requirement, then you should state so". His reply was that some folks just like to "rib the new guy and/or manufactured rifles". Well, I don't care to sponsor the opportunity for bozo prima-donna's to give me such BS, so I have only been to two events and likely will not return to one. If folks are going to do the "bait and switch".

And after 59 years on this planet, that's exactly why I don't bother participating in things like that...you see it everywhere...clubs, homeowner's associations, etc...some people get full of themselves, get overzealous, etc...I consider myself lucky to be able to use a simple little rifle range out in the country, shoot targets if I want, shoot tin cans if I want to, shoot what, when, where, why, and how I want, wearing what I want, etc...very relaxed, peaceful, enjoyable...lucky guy

Sounds to me like you were with the wrong group of people.

I'm with a bunch of fellows in the Kanawha Rangers. They voted me into their club when I had a Charles Daly cap lock rifle. They said we give all newcomers a year to get their gear together it took me less than a year. Because I had a burning desire that was over four years ago.

We have some guys who still do not have their gear together that started before I did. Now there is no sense in joining an association of re-enactors or trekkers whatever you want to call it if you're not going to take it seriously.

Although we still allow these guys to come out and join in the fun when a lot of folk would flat tell them get it right, it's time. The main thing is having fun at what you doing when it gets to be a chore trying to be perfect then that's when the fun stops!

If you were around here Tahquamenon with my group of guys you'd not be treated in such a way as to drive you away from the sport. Surely after a long period of time you might get kidded a little such is human nature. If a bunch of guys find out what trips your hammer watch out it's going to get tripped.

But to treat someone badly before they get a chance to developed a love for the sport or way of life is a better terminology. Is like punishing a young retriever before he's had a chance to developed a real love and burning desire for retrieving. It's just plain stupid and people who do it are hurting the way of life.

Well I'll step down from that soap box now and get back to work there's much to be done in the world of the TMA and Hunting Editor for Buckskinner Magazine!

Thanks for your time,
Chuck Goodall
TMA President
Hunting Editor
Buckskinner Magazine

I guess it takes all kinds.

I read once that General Omar Bradley worked out advanced calculus problems as a form of relaxation. I would rather take a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

for some of us getting our gear as near perfect as possible is relaxation.

I go to some very "strict" events and run the woods with some very unusual people on occasion.

at other times I go to more relaxed places and hang out with more conviniences present. (I even own a propane powered shower!)

Occasionally I jump into the truck and drive to the range wearing jeans and boots and work up a new load or test a new gun. Being PC never crosses my mind.

I value the friends I have from all of these phases of our sport/hobby/lifestyle.

Some people have to take an all or nothing view. I feel fortunate that I do not have that restriction. I enjoy the social aspect of reenacting as much as the presentation of history. I enjoy periods of time when I am immersed in the past and forget where and who I am, and what time frame the "real world" operates in.

It is all dependant on the mental picture you have of your persona and self image at any moment in time.

The problems erupt when you start listening to other people's preception of your image.

If you passed jury don't worry about them.

If they are the jury, and can't settle on requirements, find another event.

:results:

:m2c:

I am in this sport/hobby to learn the ancient/primitive skills that are being lost (leatherworking, metal working, wood working, primitive fire making, foraging, hunting, etc. I couldn't care any less about whether the button on my wool shirt is from 1788 or 1820 - I think the skills are what are most important. I spent time working as an apprentice to a blacksmith to learn knife making. During that time, he sold items at SCA events. I got sick of all of their manure about 'period correct'. In my short time around this group, I hear the same stuff. Just my observation, but if you give a little man a little power, suddenly he thinks he is a big man. I like the small group stuff mentioned above where they gave the guy a year to get his stuff right for their group - if he wants to join, then he follows their rules. As to rendevous', leave people alone, because you are going to get a wide variety of levels of interest. Drive those people away and you will kill your sport. Just my observation considering the ages I saw on the average age of forum users. I sure don't see many young people on that list.
:imo:

I'm no thread counter, and don't consider myself "higher" than others, but I just don't understand why folks sell the items they do for people to wear and use at an event or rendezvous. That doesn't promote authenticity for folks who are just starting out and want to do it right.

What we need is more mentors and fewer critics. No one can learn it all on their own. Our ancestors didn't and we should not have to. Mentor others, don't just criticise them! :m2c:

My feelings exactly. If you truly want those folks who carry or sell the wrong stuff to get more correct, then stop and talk to them. Invite them over for a cup of fire brewed tea or show them that they don't need a shooting box. Be the the example without being a prick. I know, I used to be a thread counter in Civil War reenactting and a prick. Then one day I found that the only friends I had were other pricks, and I didn't like them very much. I'm still somewhat of a threadcounter, but I've learned that you can change the way folks think by being a good example and helpful friend, rather than an overbering prick.
Wil

"History preserved, though knowledge shared"

Actually, it really was not a bad group in my experiences. Just a couple of idiots IMO. One guy was certainly PO'ed as I out shot him and his "custom" long rifle.
They where very dedicated folks I'm sure.

I like to get together with folks that like to shoot ML's not listen to a bunch of fluff and bloated ego's.

The only thing that was deterred was my desire to return and listen to the same idiots not quit shooting.

After 43 years on the planet and over 35 years shooting ML's, I am well aware that not all folks and groups are like this. I'm sure in my heart it was an exception.

But, I've met several newbie types over the years in several locations throughout the country that have gotten a real bad taste, which has caused them to either set down their rifle or not socialize as in my case.

I'd like to go to rendevous and the like, but honestly am not sure I want to get more involved than just the love and appreciation for muzzleloading weapons. Certainly not if I get the pleasure of listening to lip service.

Somebody once said that "a Critic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"...
On that note perhaps the hardcore PC type should put an age limit to their events since many of us would be long dead at our current ages.Or,perhaps they would favor a cholera outbreak or some other "period correct" camp sickness.Don't get me wrong,my family and I are working on getting things in our camp closer to the mark but that blue,now fire black,coffee pot and our old cast iron pots are what we have.

When I started this post, I certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I just think that traders should sell better quality and correct stuff to people that's all.

Pare-

Pare,
Sorry that my post went into a "rant" mode.I did'nt understand that you were meaning the traders.I agree but most of the events we go to don't attract the major traders so we have to make do or make ourselves. :peace:
Best regards,Paul

Ya did kinda step in that fresh buffalo chip didn't ya Pare? LMAO :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :relax: :blah: :peace: :m2c: :redthumb: :thumbsup: :master: :master:

Manufactured guns all guns are manufactured some in a cottage industry some in varying degrees of larger factories.It really makes my day when somebody with a $200.gun walks up and just creams all the thread counters with their PC whatever on the range or the woodswalk.It happens regularily much to my amusement.There is one way to look at the absurdities in some of the events,it costs real money to be amused that much if you go to the movies.Life is too short to put up with fanatics of any kind.I know lots of people who are really into PC stuff,but they don't force it on the rest of us.

Back